What coffee to start with?

DSPRD

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
So I'm pretty much new to 'real coffee' and just started to look into it. I'm not really sure what to buy and what I'd like so I wanted to ask you guys for some help. (Sorry if it's in the wrong subforum, I wasn't quite sure where to place this....) So I started out by checking out some shops near me that sell a lot of types of coffee and I've found one: [I can't post links, but the shop is called Simon Levelt. When you get there, just hover your mouse over the big KOFFIE and click on Totaal assortiment] (The site is in Dutch, type something in at the space that says Zoekterm or just click on Koffie on the left side). Now to the difficult part: what coffee should I start out with? I'd like to drink my coffee without sugar/milk/whatever (black). What more info should I provide to find what coffee I'd like to drink?

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Once you get the hang of it, it's not that difficult to handle, I, like my friend above me also recommend Colombian beans. nice and smooth.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
No offense, Aedan, but good coffee should not need any additives!

And, just as a 'second opinion', you don't need to start with something so neutral (like Columbian). If I were you, I would look for an AFrican coffee, maybe a dry-processed Ethiopian. There may be way too much going on in the cup for you...but you'll grow into it :)

KCR

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
I would be willing to bet you your local shop will allow you to purchase any where from 1/2 pound to as little as 1/4 bags of coffee. I would suggest trying 4 to 6 small bags and really see what you like. I would suggest one south American, such as a quality Columbian, one or two Africans, such as an Ethiopian, Kenyan or my personal favoritie (Tanzanian Peaberry) , and one or two "Island" coffees such as a good Hawaiian, or those from Bali, Dominican Republic etc. That way you can determine what type of coffee you like. You will find on average, most regions have characteristics with your south Americans being more bold, your Africans more crisp and the island coffees a nice balance between the two. Like wine, you will develop a taste that you enjoy and then you can start going up to larger bags. If you have a partner, doing a tasting on Saturday morning can be a lot of fun when you first try it out. I know many people that have started making their own blends once they figure out their own tastes.

ChrisMSNT

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
On a recent business trip in Seattle, I found myself with a day where my meetings cancelled. I looked around at the local roasteries which had free cuppings and tours. I landed at Stumptown where they picked out eight or so beans to cup (taste). It was REALLY interesting having coffee like that side by side! It was a GREAT time, educational and best of all... FREE! Do some research to see if you have anything local like that.

Chris