Should We Change Coffee Bean Supplier?

usahw1011

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I own a coffee shop, and I have several questions. This cafe has been selling Intelligentsia coffee for a good 2 years now since it opened. I'm considering whether I should switch to another supplier, namely Lamill. First off, would you recommend that supplier? Second, would the change alienate some of customers? In other words, is there a significant amount of brand following in coffee?

I hope you can help me out.

Thank you very much :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
First things first..why do you want to change..unhappy with quality or is the price too high? You do run a risk of complaints if you change brands...not only brand recognition but taste. People grow accustomed to their daily coffee even if the change is for the better. Good luck ;)

ceegee

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you do decide to change suppliers, it may be worth trialing the new brand at first, ie, asking your regular customers if they like or prefer the new coffee. Just a thought.

usahw1011

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Even though I do own a cafe, I'm not very familiar with coffee. To my taste, both the coffee by Lamill and by Intelligentsia is good. In other words, I wouldn't say one is superior from the other. My reasons for the change: Intelligentsia has bad customer service. Intelligentsia training is not free and quite expensive while being unhelpful. Intelligentsia coffee beans are about 10% more expensive than Lamill's.

How badly do you think it would affect me? Enough so that people would not come solely due to the fact that the coffee has changed?

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Are there any local roasters in your area? Nothing beats the freshness of a local roaster. Local roasters can also create proprietary blends and work with you on a more personalized level. Plus it's always good to support local business! Good luck.

KCR