Your best coffee tip

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Hi Guys, I'm starting a new category in my website and would love to get some of your brilliant mind's help.

If you could write down here your greatest tip about coffee. For example, how to brew, how to not burn the beans, how long to wait till a French press is ready, your winning espresso cup etc.

It would help me - a lot !!!

I thank ahead every contributor.

Cheers :coffee:

DirtyDave

You've got to find the balance.
An oiled up bean is exhibiting evidence of outer wall cellular damage, and therefore the bean cannot contain it's oils.
In other words, it's been damaged.
Having said that, many roasters are reacting in the opposite direction (roasting very light), this however yields an undeveloped
bean with a sour tea taste.
Some roasters are capable of taking the bean quite dark, without oiling.
If you like big, full, rich coffee flavor, those are the ones to seek out

ysalek

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Coffee Great for your brain

According to research, the potential benefits of caffeine for maintenance of proper brain functioning has only recently begun to be appreciated. Proper brain functioning? Those of us who stumble blindly, mumbling unintelligibly, from bed to coffee pot first thing in the morning already appreciate the effect of caffeine on proper brain functioning–but the benefits now seem to be further-reaching than the need to simply shake off the morning cobwebs.
In a study published in a special supplement to the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, researchers explored the potential benefits of caffeine and found substantial evidence that it may be protective against the cognitive decline seen in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
For the study (“Therapeutic Opportunities for Caffeine in Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases”) a group of international experts looked into the effects of caffeine on the brain. The result was a collection of original studies exploring a number of topics ranging from molecular targets of caffeine, neurophysiological modifications and adaptations, to the potential mechanisms underlying the behavioral and protective actions of caffeine in distinct brain pathologies.

Emily

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
You've got to find the balance.
An oiled up bean is exhibiting evidence of outer wall cellular damage, and therefore the bean cannot contain it's oils.
In other words, it's been damaged.
Having said that, many roasters are reacting in the opposite direction (roasting very light), this however yields an undeveloped
bean with a sour tea taste.
Some roasters are capable of taking the bean quite dark, without oiling.
If you like big, full, rich coffee flavor, those are the ones to seek out

Wow, good to know. So does that mean the advice above about not using dark roasts isn't necessarily correct, and that what you should avoid are roasts that result in oily beans? (I ask because I love dark roasts myself, and find advice to avoid them inherently and obviously wrong. But this could be a good tip.)

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Only the best and most experienced roasters can get a bean to develop fully without causing damage.
Look easy, not easy.
I agree, it seems that because "It is only coffee", it shouldn't be too hard, but with the so too many lousy cups I had in coffee places, it's probably much harder than it looks...
Anyway - great tip!

chrismartyn

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Consider some factors like boil the beans properly and mix them in right amount.

NOTE: Your URL's for off-topic websites were "moderated" and removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
My best coffee tip was $5. But, in my defense, the waitress was REALLY hot. :cool:

Seriously, good water (I try to use filtered water), fresh beans, freshly ground is the general tip.
The freshness of the beans definitely makes a difference. Right now, I go to a place that roasts them on site daily and is famous for its coffee - so they go through plenty in a week, insuring a constant turnover in their roasted beans.

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
The best tip I've ever received for french pressing is to give it only two-three stirs before letting it steep for always 4 and a half minutes, this drastically helps with the steep process and enhances the flavor while also giving it a professional thin coat of froth on top.

Four and a half minutes you say, huh? I'll just HAVE to try this and see if my press is getting any better. thx for the tip!

Fireball1234

Oct 27, 2011
Northern California
Visit site
My tip was going to be filtered water too. So I will say my best tip is to use filtered water. It can be bottled water, or a filter on the tap. I have made two pots using the same beans same machine, within an hour of each other and the only difference was one had bottled water from a 5 gallon water jug and the other used tap water. People commented on how they liked the beans I used in the first pot so much better.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
My best tip, no matter how you are brewing them is getting fresh coffee. There is a completely different taste profile when something was roasted 3 days ago, 30 days ago or 3 months ago. You can have the fanciest maker in the world, the best filtered water and a master barista making your coffee, but put a coffee that has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months, and you still get junk. Coffee roasted less then 30 days ago is the best to use in my opinion.