What's the big deal about grinders?

SixAMBuzz

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a pump espresso machine but I'm still using a $10 generic grinder. I can taste the difference between fresh ground coffee and day old coffee for sure but what's with the obsession over grinders? Will a $400 home grinder really affect the taste that much?
It's just hard for me to justify spending more than $10 for little blades spinning round and round. :decaf:

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Those cheap little grinders burn the beans from grinding so the grinds end up "scorched"... trust me, night and day difference between the cheap grinders and good conical grinders. Plus all those cheap grinders are clumpy, static issues etc. You don't have to spend 400 bucks, like I mentioned in another post the Breville Smart Grinder is around 200 and can't really be beat for money.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
I think Alton Brown in his show good eats really provides the best example between the difference between a nice burr grinder versus a stick grinder. For a typical drip coffee, I think the stick grinder works just fine and it is what we use for every day. When you move to espresso or french press, the consistency of a quality burr grinder starts to make a difference.

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Those cheap little grinders burn the beans from grinding so the grinds end up "scorched"... trust me, night and day difference between the cheap grinders and good conical grinders. Plus all those cheap grinders are clumpy, static issues etc. You don't have to spend 400 bucks, like I mentioned in another post the Breville Smart Grinder is around 200 and can't really be beat for money.
I agree. The cheap grinders tend to burn the coffee + over grind them to a thin dust making them pass through filters like French presses and Espresso filters causing them to clog your coffee with sandy coffee ground. I won't go for a 400$ grinder though and settle for a lot less. There are some wonderful 100$ grinders around.
Cheers.

SixAMBuzz

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
That video definitely straightened things out for me. Thanks!
Now I'm just concerned that I look like him every morning after my double shot espresso (i.e. :decaf:). Did anyone else think that video was in fast forward?

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The most important reason to have a nice burr grinder is for consistency of the size of the grinds. The reason this is so important is to allow for even and optimal extraction. When your grind consists of different size grinds, it causes 'channeling', because water finds the past of least resistance. You don't want little paths of water wiggling its way through your coffee, you want complete saturation.

KCR

chrismartyn

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Difference is, obviously. The taste a good grinder can give, you can never get from a 10 dollar grinder. Consider buying a good one and you will be able to get the taste you like.