New Here. Need some Help!

kungfulincoln

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

So recently, I've been feeling incredibly drowsy in the morning, no matter how much sleep I've got. So, I've been falling asleep rather than getting up and doing what I want to, no matter how much I force myself to stay awake.

The first time I tried coffee, it was black and I did not like the taste of it AT ALL. But it got the job done, as I was jolted awake throughout the rest of the day.

I would like to start up coffee again, as I think it would help me a lot. However, I need to know what to put in it so it tastes kind of sweet rather than extremely bitter.

Can somebody help me with this, please?

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Firstly, hey and welcome!
If you're younger than lets say 25, I would check to see iron blood levels because you shouldn't feel sleepy.
Coffee, is bitter. But it's a bitterness that we like and can get used to, when the beans are roasted correctly. it can be so good that one can eat freshly roasted beans, whole. But I do understand your bitterness "thing". when I first started drinking coffee, I added Irish cream to my coffee instead of milk or cream, it makes your beverage much milder and sweeter. if you don't mind the alcohol, I'd try it.
your base coffee in my opinion should be a mild espresso and not black or french press because the in the latter, more of the coffee grinds will float in your cup and make it more bitter.

Hope I helped.

The Yar

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
Certain coffees are going to be bitter, but in my opinion, never confuse bitter with acidity. Bitter coffee is the result of poor beans, over cooking and even age. You can find lots of coffees that have a natural sweetness or low acidity. I carry a Tanzanian Peaberry which has a natural sweetness to it, and some of the Hawaiian coffees are not bitter at all. Or some of the indian coffees can have quite low acidity levels so are very gentle on your stomach.

Tanzanian Peaberry

Indian Mysores Golden Nugget Coffee
Sea Mountain Ka'u Region Hawaiian Coffee

You can try a variety of things for sweetening it including sugar, agave nectar, cream or milk. You might even try a dash of vanilla extract

IanM

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey, so I just have to say I know the feeling. A little while back I was super tired all the time. My advice would be to not start drinking coffee just to try and beat it. I'd check it out with the doctor first. Could be low iron or something else. If you want to drink coffee anyway, the bitter taste can be the result of multiple things. Sugar is generally the best way to sweeten your coffee. Obviously not the healthiest though. Once you start drinking coffee, you'll become more accustomed to the taste and you can probably decrease how much sugar you are actually using.

Here are some other options if you want to avoid sugar:
Five ways to sweeten your coffee - by Melissa A. Bartell - Helium

mopleez

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
"However, I need to know what to put in it so it tastes kind of sweet rather than extremely bitter. Can somebody help me with this, please?"

What you need is some good coffee - it doesn't have to be bitter, and please don't put anything in it to mess it up. OK -- real easy here. Go to the grocery store and buy either Luzianne Medium Roast or New England Breakfast Blend. Easy enough? Just good grocery store coffee! And not bitter.

-Phil