measuring spoon set for coffee drinkers

DamianWarS

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Traditionally when measuring coffee it seems it uses tablespoon increments. Something like 2 cups of water = 1 tbsp of coffee or ½ tbsp per cup of water. I have a coffee grinder that also suggests tablespoon increments for measuring coffee starting at 4 cups = 3 tbsp which would be ¾ tbsp of coffee beans per cup of water.

It seems to me it would be natural to have measuring spoons that follow these increments to make measuring coffee easy. If I were to make a 12 cup pot of coffee I would take my little plastic tablespoon and then count out 6 tablespoons 1 by 1 which seems a little silly when we have very large measuring cups but we are just too lazy to do the math or can't be used for it. I think it would be cool to have a coffee set of measure spoons that follow these increments and instead of the tablespoon values it would say the amount relative to how much coffee you want to make and it would be a snap to measure coffee. Maybe two sets, one for ground coffee and one for coffee beans that would go like this 1 cup of coffee (½ tbsp), 2 cups of coffee (1 tbsp), 3 cups of coffee (2½ tbsp)... 12 cups of coffee (6 tbsp). And the for coffee bean set it would be 1 cup of coffee (¾ tbsp), 2 cup of coffee (1½ tbsp), 3 cups of coffee (2¼ tbsp) all the way up to 12 cups of coffee (9 tbsp). When it comes to coffee beans ¾ tbsp is not the best way to measure out because the beans are too big to measure accurately that small of capacity so the larger the measuring container the more accurate it will be for beans. For example having a 9 tbsp measure container would be more accurate than counting 9 individual tbsp of beans.

A typical measuring spoon set comes in two sets, one for cups (the bigger ones) and one for tbsp and tsp (the smaller ones), with these regular sets coffee amounts in the above increments don't always work out. Here is my conversion of a typical measuring spoon set, there are a lot of gaps and some values are just the closest match however are not exact.

1/8 tsp = n/a
1/4 tsp = n/a
1/2 tsp = n/a
1 tsp = n/a
1/2 tbsp = 1 cup of coffee using ground coffee
1 tbsp = 2 cups of coffee using ground coffee

1/8 cup = 4 cups of coffee using ground coffee
1/4 cup = 8 cups of coffee using ground coffee
1/3 cup = approximately 7 cups of coffee using coffee beans or approximately 11 cups of coffee using ground coffee
1/2 cup = 16 cups of coffee using ground coffee
2/3 cup = approximately 14 cups of coffee using coffee beans or approximately 21 cups of coffee using ground coffee
3/4 cup = 16 cups of coffee using coffee beans or 24 cups of coffee using ground coffee
1 cup = 32 cups of coffee using ground coffee

Am I the only one who has thought of this? I know it seems trivial but it seems simple enough to manufacturer and with a large coffee culture you would think there would be a profitable demand for it but I can't find anyone that sells a measuring spoon set designed for coffee. Does anyone know of any, or do or would you buy something like this?