Espresso vs French Press

Adam2670

Nov 4, 2011
NYC
Visit site
Need some expert knowledge and opinions here...

My deal is I use 2-4 shots of espresso daily as caffeine and flavor additive while crating my iced or blended mochas. I mix the shots into about 6ozs organic whole milk and 2tbs of big train mocha powder and 1tbs Ghirardelli black label choc sauce. Someone today suggested I use cold brewed french press over the espresso shots for richer flavor and no bitterness.

What are your thoughts on this based on my drinks? I don't EVER drink the espresso by itself, just use it as an ingredient, so if the french press option is a viable alternative for both flavor and caffeine content then I think I may go for it.

The 2 items I was looking at for this were these:

BEAN SET | Ice coffee maker, 1.5 l, 51 oz Red | Bodum Online Shop
BISTRO | Electric coffee grinder Red | Bodum Online Shop

Let the discussion begin!

thanks!
-A

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Since you are butchering the coffee anyhow.........I would cold brew, refridgerate and have abut 2 weeks to consume the cold brew.
To properly cold brew, you need about 18 hours - 1 day and not the minutes you probably would take in a bodum

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Adam2670"

Are you making your coffee drinks at home or do you work in a cafe? Do you grind your coffee beans to make the espresso shots? It sounds like you're basically making an "iced moca." However I don't quite get why you'd want to add the Big Train powder along with the Ghirardelli chocolate syrup. Iced mocas are usually made with an espresso shot (or 2), milk, and a good quality chocolate syrup. I really doubt that using iced French-pressed coffee would make a difference in flavor or caffeine content. It may even water it down too much. A fresh expresso shot is a better choice. Why switch?

Rose

Adam2670

Nov 4, 2011
NYC
Visit site
Hi Rose!

Thanks or the response, I make them at home. I've arrived at this combo purely by experimentation, I find the big train powder gives it a much creamier texture than the chocolate syrup alone, using just syrup of any brand leaves it too watery for my taste. I was afraid of the French press as well for it giving a too watered down taste, a barista at Starbucks suggested maybe I try that. I'll more than likely just get a better espresso machine and continue using this method, I just thought I'd ping some of you experts for opinions before I committed to the expense of a new machine and grinder. Figured if my limited taste wouldn't distinguish a difference I could save a ton of $$

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

I became familiar with the Big Train powders, because it's what we used to use to make "smoothies" in one of the cafes where I worked a few years ago.

How do you "blend" your espresso, Big Train powder, and syrup? Do you use a blender and crush ice, or do you mix everything and pour it over ice?

I'm wondering if the Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker would work for you. It makes espresso-type coffee without the expense of an expensive machine. You can adjust the strength of your coffee based on what you like. But, you'll still need to get a decent grinder. Several people on this forum have the Aeropress, and they all seem to like it. I found it on the Amazon web site. Here's the link to it.

Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

Rose

Adam2670

Nov 4, 2011
NYC
Visit site
Depending upon what I'm drinking I either just mix the shots with the powder and syrup in a measuring cup then add milk then pour over ice or if I'm going to blend it I mix everything in my Blendtec but I use 8 scoops of big train and no syrup. I'm going to order that machine monday, can't go wrong at that price, if it sucks I'll just use it for camping and travel and still get the big espresso machine! Grinder wise I was going to get the Bodum one I linked above, right now I have the places I buy the beans from grind them, I know thats bad but the machine I have my eye on has a $300 grinder built in so I didn't want to spend money on a grinder if I was going to get that machine anyway.

Thanks again Rose! I'll get back to you next week when my Aero shows up :)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Caffeine extraction/concentration is hard to explain Adam2670. In theory longer steep times draw more caffeine out (espresso technically has shortest steep time), but that depends on grind fineness, water temperature, etc. It's been said that with all variables being equal espresso can actually have less caffeine than other brew methods, but I just don't buy it...

For example, I can set aside 75 grams of coffee for my morning ritual. 99% of the time that will equate to me doing FIVE 15 gram doubles with my lever machine. The other 1% I will use that 75 grams and use it for drip coffee. With that being said, no matter how much of that drip coffee I consume it just doesn't do the job for ME when compared to those double shots.

Also note that in theory cold brewed coffee will have less caffeine than what is prepared with hot water.

PinkRose, I suggested that Adam try the Big Train mocha base mix for blended drinks as well as the Ghirardelli Black Label chocolate sauce for blended/iced mochas as those 2 products stand out above all others based on what I've created over the last few years.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~ Hi Shadow!

I have to admit, I was wondering where Adam got the idea about the Big Train Moca mix as well as the Ghirardelli Black Label chocolate sauce. Most people aren't familiar with those products. That's why I asked if he worked in a cafe. Thanks for clearing that up!

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~Hi again, Adam,

In the meantime, you can always view the YouTube videos on how to use the Aero Press. Once you get it, it may take a little practice to get the shots to turn out the way you want. I'm thinking that, between the coffee and chocolate that you add in your drink mix, you'll get enough caffeine to last you a few hours at least.

Rose