Coffee is weak...Need help please

mooky

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I like to drink my Community Dark Roast coffee from my 12 oz. mug. It always seems a bit weak. I use 2 rounded coffee scoops... my mom gave me one she got when she used to order Gevalia....I usually just drink one mug in the morning..I only used 1 mug full of water this time instead of the mug and a half she told me to use and it's still kinda weak. I use filtered water from my Pur faucet filter. What should I do to make it stronger and make at least 2 cups? Thanks

Last edited:

mooky

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...The 1st cup was kinda weak so I started over and used a regular tablespoon and used 2 heaping scoops...That did make it better.. how much coffee and water should I add for 4 cups..in case someone wants to come over and drink coffee.. my other coffee cup is an 8 oz. Thanks again for the help.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
If you want to be precise you have to measure. Rule of thumb is 2 tablespoons per 6 oz of water before brewing which yields 5.3 oz of brewed coffee. So you would use 3 tablespoons and about 9 oz of water to yield 8 oz of brewed coffee. From there you can make it weaker/stronger according to your desired taste by adjusting the amount of coffee you use. Let's say 3 tablespoons tasted good to you, if you want to make 4 of your 8 oz brewed coffee, just multiply 3 by 4 and multiply 9 by 4: use 12 tablespoons and 36 oz of water, which will yield 32 oz of brewed coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Mooky"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website.

What kind (and size) of coffee maker are you using to make your coffee?

Follow "tazzadiluna's" suggestions and see how you like your coffee. You can always adjust the amounts (of ground coffee or water) to get your coffee to taste the way you want.

Rose

mooky

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the help...for my 12 oz mug, 2 tbsp. is perfect...for an 8oz cup to go with it for anyone else who might want one, I should ad 2 more or 1 and a half? I hate having to do math..lol

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? ;) Now that I think about it, when you said 2 "heaping" scoops does that mean you are not leveling off the top of the tablespoon? If not, use a knife to level it off and you'd get a more accurate measurement. If you're not doing that, it means you're using more than 2 tablespoons for your 12 oz. Which is kind of weak in my opinion. Haha. Anyway, yes, according to your liking that means you should use a little less than 1 1/2 for an 8 oz. Just a note, it's better to brew strong for friends since they can always add hot water to make it weaker, but if it's weak... well, you'd have to start over.

mooky

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info... I am using a thermal Black & Decker 12 cup coffeemaker by the way...I don't level the tablespoons....I just try to get them the same or close enough each spoonful.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
One more suggestion:

When we say tablespoon, we mean a tablespoon from a measuring set (like you'd use for baking) If you're using a tablespoon from your kitchen silverware drawer, you won't get an exact measurement. For example: My old set of silverware has a "tablespoon" that is much larger than my new set, and neither of them would be an accurate tablespoon measurement.

It's best to use a measuring tablespoon (or tablespoon size scoop) when measuring your coffee.

Rose

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, that's why you said "heaping." I was wondering why you were doing that. Yes, I was talking about tablespoon from a measuring spoon set, not the one you eat with. I prefer to say tablespoon instead of scoop since scoops come in different sizes, too. You don't have to use the back of a knife to level off either, I like to bake so I'm used to doing that. You can just use your index finger, if you want.

Latest posts