Coffee Grounds to Touch Up Furniture Scuffs

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that tip plenty of times. I've tried it, but it didn't do much for me.

However, we always have a house full or kids, dogs & cats so things get a lot of wear. Our problems are scratches more than minor scuffs.

Since I had wet coffee grounds on hand, I tried it again. It put a little color in the scratches and shined the wood up, but that's about it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe it was because I'm working with an actual scratch.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Moka Pot!

Thanks for giving it a try.

I've heard that if you wet a tea bag (black tea - not green) with a little hot water that will work too. I'm wondering if the coffee grounds just need to be wet (but not make coffee from them) before using them.

You may need to let it soak a while before wiping the area....or maybe it needs a second application.

Someone accidently scratched a wood table at work yesterday, and I was looking for an easy way to cover up the scratch.

Rose

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Rose,

Letting it soak in would have to make it more effective. I always get impatient and wipe right away! And, I've never thought of using fresh coffee. That might work better too.

I think I may have initially read it in some list of things you could do with old coffee grounds. I'm pretty sure that there was something in there about using it for your plants?

I don't see why tea wouldn't work just as well if the wood is a light color. That would also give you a light, natural stain.

My favorite use for wet tea bags is to stop bleeding. We use them if we accidentally clip the dogs nails too close, but an oral surgeon also recommended them recently for light post-extraction bleeding.

Maybe this post will turn into everyone's favorite tips for using coffee/tea in new ways? That would be pretty cool!

For your original problem, check a home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot for a scratch repair pen. I haven't used one, but they say they'll fill the scratch in to make it smooth - and they may even have them in a variety of tones to match the wooden surface. I know they have them in clear polyurethane to put the shine back and make it less noticable. Should be an under $10 fix.

A strategically placed plant or decorative item works too.

Last edited:

Collinslice

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello
well I agree all the comments need more betterment in this aspect if some one have ideas then share to take the further suggestions.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The wet coffee grounds helped cover a scratch in the wood trim, on the windowsill, in my kitchen (light wood). The coffee color blended in and I can hardly tell the scratch was there. It looks like there is some truth to it.

Rose