Sour Coffee--I actually like it.....

kdoske

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Sour Coffee--I actually like it, need help making more...

How can I make sour coffee? I always drink my coffee with no sugar or cream--black. About a year I ordered a coffee and to my supprise it was sour. I cannot explain the flavor except to say it was sour and absolutely delicious! I have purchased coffee from all over the internet and can't figure it out. Is it a particular type of coffee, type of roast, type of grind, or a type of brewing method that will give me the sour coffee? What in the world will give me sour coffee! I need you my sour delectable mistress! Please help me find her :cry:

I have read the forum. I am not talking bitter, I mean sour! Once again I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Last edited:

PeruvianCoffee

May 2, 2012
New York, NY
Visit site
Yeah I was going to say we're thinking of bitter? And wont roasting it long technically "burn" it? (that's how Sbux does it at times). I'm actually drinking a "sour" and bitter cup, and for some reason I can't stop either...

Go crazy roast with sour tasting substances (like lemon). I'm kidding by the way, but if you do something like that, let us know!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "kdoske"

Since it was only a year ago, do you remember where you bought the coffee that was sour? Maybe if you go back to the place (or call them) and ask about their coffee, you can find out what they use and how they brew it. I know some people ask for lemon to be squeezed into their coffee. Could you have accidently gotten someone else's order?

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
That was interesting. It's amazing how people can use some detective work to figure out what's going on.

It looks like you were heading in the right direction when you mentioned a light roast in an earlier post.

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yeah, if someone really wanted that sour taste (on purpose) a pinch of citric acid would do it.

Last year a woman asked for a shot of espresso and then asked me for a slice of lemon. She took the lemon and squeezed it on top of the espresso and then drank it in about 3 sips. I can't imagine drinking coffee with lemon or wanting that citric taste, but I guess some folks like it. I've only seen 2 other people do the same thing since then.

Rose

kdoske

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
lol, thanks for all the post guys.

Hello "kdoske"

Since it was only a year ago, do you remember where you bought the coffee that was sour? Maybe if you go back to the place (or call them) and ask about their coffee, you can find out what they use and how they brew it. I know some people ask for lemon to be squeezed into their coffee. Could you have accidently gotten someone else's order?

Rose
I purchased it on a road trip from Louisiana to Alaska. I think it was in a coffee shop somewhere in Colorado. By the time it cooled down enough that I could actually drink it I was 30 mins away. So unfortunately I will never know! Nope, it was for me. I saw her pour it for me right from the pot.

It seems so strange to be thinking about how to make the coffee taste sour when we usually try so hard to avoid it.

I'm wondering if there was a problem with the beans. As this article illustrates, there are a lot of ways the coffee could turn out tasting "different" (maybe amber beans?)

Rose
Very nice article. Looks like amber beans are Bitter not Sour. I hear what you are saying, Sour = Poor quality. What can I say, I guess im cheap! Really though I guess this is a good thing for me.

Maybe lightly roasted beans with a high natural acidity?
Yeah, I'm thinking a light roasted Peruvian?

And try brewing your beans with warmer instead of hot/boiling water.

I think I am going to get a french press that I can use with warm water. I have a Vacuum Pot but I think the water might get to hot in the top. I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. Thanks so much for you research and time.

Thanks for all the post guys :) After all the great suggestions I think I am going to start searching for lightly roasted Peruvian beans and brew them with a french press in warm water. I think that should do the trick! Once again thanks so much for your help. I will post back with the details. I am in a small town in Alaska so I have to get everything shipped to me so it may take a week or to. I'll will post my findings though. I'm sure I am not the only one. Well, maybe I am--lol!

Last edited: