What's more important, a good grinder or a good water filter?

CoffeeLovers101

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, this is my first thread. I thought I'd just introduce myself by running a question by you guys to see what you think.

I've been really getting into coffee over the past few months and love my french press. The two best investments I have made so far are in my burr grinder and my water filter, but I'm torn as to which one actually made the most difference to the taste of my coffee!

What do you think? Which is more important to you, a decent grinder or good water?

Cheers

Coffee4all

Jun 16, 2012
Drachten
Visit site
99% of your coffee is water. A good filter is a good investment. Ofcourse it is nice to have a good grinder but it is possible with a cheap grinder to get good results. Not easy but possible.
If you have a good grind but still bad water, coffee will not taste.
But I like Eldub's solution:)

Daniël Dijkstra, Coffee4all, Drachten

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The problem here is you can't just simply say what's more important. A good grinder goes a long way at achieving consistency which will affect the over all quality of the coffee you will be drinking. At the same time water is the bulk of what you will be drinking and if your not filtering at the top of your game pollutants will creep in and ruin the taste.

I think the thing for people to understand is in the short term using tap water and a blade grinder is a good start. But for those who will be long term drinkers who demand more from their cup need to go the extra mile and add a better grinder and water filtration to the list. These are the items required to make a good cup of joe.

andyrodgers

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
the major portion of cup of coffee is water, so its better to have good water if your watere suppply is not too good, but having nice grinder is also not bad. so dont worry and just enjoye the combination fo both becuase both are good.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a which came first the chicken or the egg, but if I had to choose it would be the grinder because I can always use bottled water!

Indesio

Sep 22, 2012
Barakaldo
Visit site
The water is the key. Even a simple carbon water filter improves a better coffee. Brita, Claris... there are a lot of cheap and good filtrers. Eldub's solution is also a good idea. 1 bottle serves a lot of espressos.

Salu2.
Indesio.