How do I know

Coffeegurus

Jun 25, 2012
Philadelphia
Visit site
Use different colored cups for coffee and tea. Example: white cups coffee, green cups tea. Go around and ask customers how they like their coffee or tea routinely. Let your workers see you doing this.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello;
You have a couple problems here. I have owned numerous businesses and have had this exact problem happen to me. The employee would charge the "friend" for a $1 item and give her a $5 item. A week of daily inventory caught her doing this. What makes you think that this is happening? Has a customer/staff member brought this to your attention? Is this a long time staff member? Has this happened more than once? It might have been and honest mistake but if you are looking for advice you must have some suspisions. You should trust your instincts and if you have questions of trust of an employee you should replace this person with the first chance you get with any legitimate reason you can find. It is not fair to you or your business if you cannot trust the people you have working for you. You can set up a camera, keep better control of your inventory,(daily inventory without staff knowing) It is always nice to do this inventory occasionally without staff knowing so that you can see any potential problems like wasted drinks inaccurately done, spoiled or wasted food, staff abusing drinks and food for themselves, etc.
Hope this helps

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Mohamed,

I am also wondering what makes you suspect that an employee is stealing from you. Do you think it's actually happening, or are you just thinking of ways to prevent it from happening?

Besides the obvious security camera suggestion, one of the places where I worked gave the employees a "friends and family" discount where they could give a 25% discount to a friend or family member when they came into the cafe.

No one abused it, and it gave the employee the freedom to choose who got the discount. The employees weren't stealing (no cash went in their pockets) and they were able to "treat" their friends and family to 25% off, which made them feel good.

I believe trusting your employees and letting them know you trust them helps deter stealing or skimming. If you make them feel powerless and abused, they're going to resent you and start to feel entitled to give away your profits.

You can always get a security camera, and aim it at the cash register, and let them know that you watch the tape from time to time.

Rose

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all but until now i did not get answer. can you help me folks ?
Hello Mohamed;
What answer did you not get? It is impossible to answer your original question in more detail without getting an answer from you as to whether you know that theft has taken place and how you know or if you just suspect it. Once you answer this basic question then I think we can offer more/better solutions.

MOHAMED

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello Mohamed;
What answer did you not get? It is impossible to answer your original question in more detail without getting an answer from you as to whether you know that theft has taken place and how you know or if you just suspect it. Once you answer this basic question then I think we can offer more/better solutions.

Hello Canadian Brian
I am only asking to develop a method to prevent this kind of simple theft and for more control and I expect if we found a solution, we will help our operations managers
Thanks for your comment

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Mohamed,

If you do a Google search for how to deter employee theft in a cafe or restaurant, you will find several websites that have information that may help you.

Here is one that you may find useful : Tips For Stopping Employee Theft

The section called "Signals From Employee Activities" lists a lot of things to be aware of...

Rose

Last edited: