Losing flavor in one day

GeorgeJames

Aug 10, 2012
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Hello:

How is it possible to order roasted beans, get them by mail in two days and have the best cup of coffee I've ever had and the next day the flavor is at best 10% of the previous day? It maintained the diminished flavor throughout the week.

I use the pour over method with the V60. Tried the french press and the flavor was no better, just different.

This happens with most of my coffee. I keep the roasted beans in the one way valve type bag, tighten it up, and press all the air out. It is stored on my counter top no where near any heat sources.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "GeorgeJames"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

Coffee begins to lose its freshness as soon as it is done roasting, and it's at its peak in the first few days after it's roasted. Once the original packaging is opened, the coffee loses its freshness quickly. What you're experiencing is a gradual loss of quality.

Some people prefer the taste of their coffee when the beans are several days old, and some people like it better when it's even older.

It would be better if you could get an air tight container for storing your coffee. No matter how well you think you've sealed it, the opened valve bag is not sufficient for storing your coffee. You need to store the beans away from air, light, and heat.

Also, since you're sensitive to the taste of your coffee as the days go by, you'll probably be better off if you just purchase enough roasted coffee for a week or so. Do you have a local roaster in your area? It's usually better to buy your roasted coffee locally if you can. That way you can get smaller quantities and not have to worry about paying for shipping.

Rose

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Ball Canning Jars, make sure their the freezer safe ones. Use those for storage right when the beans come to your house, their air tight. I have a bunch of the half pint ones. I keep one jar out then stick the rest in the freezer, and put the jar like Pink Rose said in one of the cabinets (cool dark place). Not sure what coffee/beans you ordered that are going bad that fast? Some beans roasters even recommend letting sit 5-7 days out before using so it can vary, but 10% of the taste from the day before doesn't sound right, never had that problem. When I take a jar from the freezer I leave out overnight to come to room temp, and never put back in the freezer. I usually order 2-5lbs so that's the only way to keep that amount fresh tasting.

Last edited:

GeorgeJames

Aug 10, 2012
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. The beans were from Terroir Coffee-- Lenana, Kirinyaga & Nyeri, Kenyan. I've always noticed some diminished taste after the first day, but nothing like this. I think I will try the canning jars a try. I have some unused ones. What about the Airscape container?

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. The beans were from Terroir Coffee-- Lenana, Kirinyaga & Nyeri, Kenyan. I've always noticed some diminished taste after the first day, but nothing like this. I think I will try the canning jars a try. I have some unused ones. What about the Airscape container?
Hmm could have been a bad batch of beans, it happens, call Terroir and see what they say. B/c it def shouldn't degrade that fast. I don't know about the airscape containers. I love the ball caning jars, tas their two piece, the plate sealer and then the top to screw and hold in place, and their great for freezing. I have the half pint jars and just fill them and stick all except one in the freezer, so when thawed to room temp their fresh tasting vs leaving out whether in a jar or bag.

You can get them cheap at Walmart, only like 8 bucks for 12 half pint jars. Everywhere else wants more and makes you pay shipping even if shipped to a store. Just make sure, as there are two Walmarts by me and only 1 carries the line. If you get them make sure their for "freezing" too as some of theirs aren't listed for that.

edit - opps missed you said you had caning jars already lol, which ones/type? The ones that have the sealing plate like Ball are the best.

Last edited:

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
I found the jars. They are the exact ones you are talking about, 12 Ball half pint and freezer safe. What about the gassing of the recently roasted beans?
No worries, they won't explode or anything lol. Generally by the time their shipped and delivered they've already gassed off a good amount anyway. If you freeze though, just make sure to take out like over night so it can thaw out to room temp by the next morning before use, and never put it back in the freezer.

I would still call Terroir though and see what's up, chance it may have been a bad batch of beans, no way they or any beans should lose that massive of a difference over a day.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the batch of beans would have been bad if they tasted great on the first day. A bad batch would never taste great, imo.

Stale beans might lose flavor quickly after opening, maybe? But still not sure there would be that large of a fluctuation in quality in 24 hours.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The 90% flavor loss is a mystery. Neither I, nor it seems anyone else on this thread, have had that happen to them.

Did you change your water? That could account for a huge change in taste. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Unless your pot needs a good cleaning but I doubt that is the case.

As to the coffee off-gassing if the coffee is fresh roasted it is still off-gassing quite awhile after the roast, especially if the coffee hasn't been ground. I've got some two week old coffee I just ground and put into 70g sachets. I forgot to put a pin hole in the bags and the next morning they'd blown up like balloons. But as to the pressure of the out-gassing versus the strength of the seal of the Ball jar, the Ball jar will win out so don't think the jar is going to explode or anything like that.

Let us know if you solve the flavor loss mystery.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello:

How is it possible to order roasted beans, get them by mail in two days and have the best cup of coffee I've ever had and the next day the flavor is at best 10% of the previous day? It maintained the diminished flavor throughout the week.

GeorgeJames:

When I read your original message, I thought you were saying that on the second day, the coffee flavor diminished 10% and it was losing 10% each day. Is that what you meant, or are you saying that it lost 90% of the flavor on the second day?

Rose

GeorgeJames

Aug 10, 2012
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Yes, the flavor lost was drastic. I am very consistent with my brewing method. I did change up the grind and pour method after the second day. This was only to try and capture the flavor of the first cup. This resulted in the expected differences due to the change in brewing method (ie: bit more bitter with the finer grind).

I did send Terroir Coffee an email to see if they have had any issues similar to mine. I have sent them questions about their products before. Never any problems. They never reply. Unlike Counter Culture who will contact you quickly.

I will be trying the Ball jar storage on my next order, likely from Counter Culture.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
I have run into this same problem. I think I was sold beans from last years harvest. although I roast my own beans, so taste and aroma should not diminish quickly. I had a batch of beans that did just this, and my only conclusion was old (stale) beans. It could be possible that the batch they delivered to you may have been from an old harvest, or sitting on the shelf to long before roasting.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I have recently noticed that flavor profiles of freshly roasted coffee can change dramatically from day to day. (And this is with new crop beans, btw.) Cupping beans 24 hours after being roasted and then 48 hours post roast has given some considerably different results on the nose and palate. And this is with beans from the current crop.