Storing Coffee with Rice

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have a stupid question to ask... Would storing coffee in the same container as rice make the coffee go stale, or preserve the flavour? Let me further discuss the two philosophies

Rice is often used in salt shakers as rice is known to absorb moisture. By absorbing moisture the salt does not clump. Moisture is also known as one of the factors that make coffee go stale. By putting a few grains of rice in a bag of whole bean coffee the moisture would stick with the rice and the coffee would be dry. The flavour would then be preserved.

Alternativly, the rice will suck the flavour out of the coffee. Because rice is known to absorb moister, and is a simple carb, it may also absorb flavours of it's surroundings.

Which case would be the determining factor?

**Note- Only to be used with whole beans since the rice can be easily picked out... and only a small amount of rice is used (a few grains).

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
A few grains of rice in a bag of coffee beans wouldn't make much of a difference in absorbing moisture.

One of the reasons why the rice helps the salt in the shaker not to clump is that the rice grains "rough up" the salt as you shake the salt shaker, and that helps minimize the clumping.

You can always give it a try and see what happens.

However, I wouldn't put the loose rice directly into the container with the coffee beans. Do you really want to play hide and seek to pick them out?

Maybe you could try a sachet pouch like they use with tea leaves, and put the rice in there first.

Rose

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I would think that the rice would absorb flavor. I wonder how the rice would taste with coffee infused in it?

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol, it is a very interesting question indeed. Why don't you practically try it out by storing a small amount of coffee along with a small amount of rice? Doing this, you will have a clear picture of exactly what happens and experimenting with these two in small amounts won't be a burden on your pocket as well.

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this with tea. The rice now smells like green tea. When it's cooked the rice tastes normal... I think the the tea flavour from the rice gets diluted in the water when you cook it.

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, overall it is a bad idea, I guess. I won't like my cooked rice smell like coffee or tea. Why would one want to try this though? Only when he/she is short of containers??? lol.............:decaf: