The Physics of Spilled Coffee

Gregory101

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Some of you may have seen this earlier this year. On the Science magazine website there was an article about research into the physics of spilled coffee, relating the tempo of the gait of the person carrying the cup, typical mug size, etc.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I would say that the physics is pretty simple. Murphy's Law dictates that if you have just gotten a good tempo down on your walking/driving etc and you are taking about that third sip, if and when you do spill it, it will be on the whitest clothes you are wearing, and most definitely stain.

The likely-hood of this happening increases exponentially based on the importance of wherever you are going. Example if you are going to a job interview you are more likely to spill it then if you are just walking along enjoying a scenic walk. However, if you are single, and an attractive woman walks by the probability you will spill it also goes up exponentially.

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
cofee is a liquid so it has viscous properties. It is important to note that viscous materials have a time dependant strain rate. This, when coupled with the frequency that the cup is oscillating (due to your gait) causes the coffee to slosh. The "natural frequency" is when the frequency of your walking opposes the frequency that your swining your cup, amlifying the wavelength that the coffee oscillates- increasing the magnitude of the slosh.

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I sortof BS'd it... but all of the terminology and theory is legitamit. I'm studying civil engineering. Thats what happens when you take classes on fluid dynamics and continuum mechanics. It is interesting to note that tall slender stuctures, such as high-rise buildings, are susceptible to failure due to natural frequency. The flow of air around buildings produces vorticies (swirling gusts)- if these gusts have a frequency coinciding with the natural frequency of a structure then the structure will continue vibrating indefinatly until it fails (or until the wind patterns change).

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I can "BS" it better ;)

You see when the moon is in the seventh house of Aquarius and we have a galactic alignment, the gravitational pull is such that the tidal forces in said cup of coffee exponentially increase, which unleashes a mini Tsunami inside the cup. Now, the only reason this phenomenon only happens inside your coffee cup is quite simple. You see, the amount of liquid in the cup is exactly 1/100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of the volume in the earth's oceans.

However, when we cross the galactic center, the Mars is in a retrograde orbit, AND it's a full moon, you are destined to spill your coffee :)

Oh, and that whol Mayan Calendar 2012 thing?? Definite end of the world for your favorite white shirt..... A splash of epic proportions is going to happen exactly on that day as to celebrate you will add a dash of chocolate sauce to your cup... And the prophecy is complete....

Of course, nobody really knows what happens after this... perhaps all will be calm, and nobody will spill coffee for another millennium... However, it could be the opposite, and we all better stock up on spill proof lids, as the number of spills will increase until there will be the coffee of innocents flowing freely in the streets.... :(

So... Invest in a good travel mug, or at least a sippy cup :)

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about all of this but Murphy's Law sounds like it is the most applicable to this particular equation! I do not even buy white shirts anymore!

mellowdee

Oct 4, 2012
Illinois
Visit site
MyMugsHalfFull,
This is funny. I like that you can use all of your technological PC terms to talk about something as silly as spilling coffee :). hahaha. I love using smart talk for jokes!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Well if you like that, then you would love to be around when things really pick up ;)

You see, we like to get together with our favorite cups of coffee and think up interesting things. That little perspective piece I did is just the tip of the iceberg lol.

We actually have found that due to the centrifugal force of the earth (and of course the Coriolis effect) that the safest place to be, and be guaranteed to be safe from the Tsunami of coffee, is believe it or not right on the equator.. I KNEW there was a reason all those people down there could wear white clothes that looked pristine all the time! (regardless of number of cups of coffee they would drink while walking, driving, bike riding, etc)!