Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Growing your own Coffee trees.

This is a discussion on Growing your own Coffee trees. within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; That sounds so cool. You cant get anything fresher than picking your own cherries....

That sounds so cool. You cant get anything fresher than picking your own cherries.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by ppkgan View Post
    Would love to see images of your grove! I know that coffee smells from roasting but I have always wondered if they give off any smells or if they have flowers.
    Coffee roasting does smell amazing !! We love the smell here at home in Arlington, Va.
    When we are in Kona, Hi, driving through the coffee belt you often smell coffee roasting and it is such a wonderful sweet smell.

The trees have no special smell except during the short time the blooms are on the trees. The fresh flowers smell of jasmine. It is truly amazing. Imagine acres of fragrance flowing with the breeze. It is amazing. The blooms are short lived, but they do appear several times.

Attempting to attach a pic.
    Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-04-07-15.53.03_group-outside-spring_800px.jpg
    Yay! Success. Above is of my young trees earlier this year.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-04-04-10.00.18_first-laterals_500px.jpg
    My first plant to sprout laterals. This was an exciting time.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-04-12-16.34.27_first-lats_500px.jpg
    During the spring I moved them outside for more sun, and brought them back in as temps would be below 50*F.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-03-04-10.02.17_inside-where-warm_500px.jpg
    Not enough window sill for all the trees, two other rooms also host coffee trees in the chilly months.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-08-14-13.45.47.jpg
    This is the first tree to sprout laterals as of this summer. Sunlight, water, and regular feeding and they respond well.

Quote Originally Posted by mugz View Post
    That sounds so cool. You cant get anything fresher than picking your own cherries.
    This is very true. There is a lot of labour to go from tree to cup. doing it all by hand is very tiring. Picking is done by hand, but pulping and milling by machine makes life much easier. If someone had a few trees of their own, it is silly to have machines, but it sure would make life easier.

The earlier post stating that the coffee tasted poorly, I wonder if the cherries were picked to soon? Were the pulped beans allowed to ferment? Drying is also important, they must be 9-12% moisture content by weight as parchment. After dry milling the paper layer off, the green beans are sorted to remove deffects, the resulting good beans can be roasted, allowed to rest for 24 hours, then ground and brewed.

A ton of work for a delicious dark beverage.

More pics.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-08-14-13.43.15.jpg
    This is one of two that almost were discarded to the mulch pile. (they each had dropped all but 2 leaves.)

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-08-14-13.43.44.jpg
    Now they both have laterals and several verticals. They look great.

Growing your own Coffee trees.-2012-08-14-13.50.19.jpg
    here is another great looking tree. This was a tiny 2 leafed seedling a year and a half ago.

Super Moderator
    Hello CJevens!

I an sooooooo glad you were finally able to post photos!

I have one coffee plant that's about 2 years old. It's getting tall and bushy looking. I just transferred it to another larger pot.

It's been fun watching it grow. I don't expect anything much to become of it, (flowers, etc.) but it makes a good conversation starter when people come over.

Rose

Rose, Cmon ! Where is the picture?

I would like a coffee tree to grow in the roasting shop.

I bought 6 small coffee trees from the local greenhouse. After 2 years (4 left) they got some kind of disease and died. I even took them back to have them looked at and all they could tell me was to maybe fertilize more, get a hydroponic light source and pray. Well, I didnt go for the light and they just died a slow death. The climate in Canada is not good for growing these as our light in winter months isn't that great and you can't sit them close to a window because it is so cold. I think next time I'm in Costa Rica I will try to have a larger one exported and see if that helps.
    Brian

If anyone is interested in my young trees, drop me a private message. I can also include instructions for care.
    As long as they arent below 40*F and get a reasonable amount of light, they will survive. Growth will be slow, but they will survive.

Way cool pictures! thank you for sharing them! I think that growing trees like this would be cool, and Jasmin is one of my favorite smells!

Growing these trees has been very rewarding. As we get ready to move, I will need to find them new homes.
    Might as well get something for my time and effort and sell them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads