Storing coffee in the Refrigerator/Freezer

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Got a question for you.

Now, some say that sometimes to keep coffee fresh longer they will store the coffee in the refrigerator or even the freezer, does this have any adverse effects?

I could see maybe moisture being an issue perhaps?

Does anyone here store their coffee in a refrigerator or freezer? If so, do you keep it in ZIPLOC bags, or in it's original container? (be it bag or can)

I have made a couple of pots using the refrigerator coffee and it seems to be alright... But I'm wondering if in the long term it's really a good idea.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Coffee is not meant for long term storage.

It's like fresh fruit. Buy in small quantities, use it in a couple of weeks, and repeat.

Unless you are roasting your own, and store it in a vacuum sealed bag before initial degassing finishes at - 10F or lower, then no good will come of it.

Buy less coffee more often.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I like to think so too, it's just that it's so tempting to buy the really big bags/cans of GOOD coffee when you see them..

For example, going on a trip to Costa Rica, want to bring back coffee.. Can bring back about 5 pounds maybe, and don't want to (not to mention can't) drink 5 pounds of coffee in a week :(

bigred1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If you keep ground coffee in the refridge it acts like baking soda (it will suck the smell and taste of things in there)
my nephew thought I was crazy so I had him put some in a baggy and set it next to a banana on the counter the next day he made the pot and could smell and taste the banana in the coffee

NHcoffee

Jan 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Visit site
I am a self proclaimed coffee snob, a craft roaster of over 20 years. I roast about 125,000 # in 2012. I still buy high quality beans and only roast with skills instead of automation.

Your refrigerator can have smells and aromas within it. That being said, coffee can and will pick up those aromas and make that wonderful Costa Rican coffee taste different even like the smells within your refrigerator.

I am also a purest that does not believe in a freezer. This conversation would have to do with the freezing of moisture and separation of the waters and oils within the bean. This is worse IMO.

All this being said: get yourself a real good Tupperware like container, or several smaller. I say good, because you will want to keep the fresh air out the best you can. The seal will make a big difference as the coffee can actually gas and push the inferior container seals open and thus defeating the purpose by letting fresh air in. If you use it with in 5 weeks or so, the average will still enjoy a very good cup of coffee.

One last thing...there are no cans of coffee that have good coffee in them. :oops:

I like to think so too, it's just that it's so tempting to buy the really big bags/cans of GOOD coffee when you see them..

For example, going on a trip to Costa Rica, want to bring back coffee.. Can bring back about 5 pounds maybe, and don't want to (not to mention can't) drink 5 pounds of coffee in a week :(

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am certainly in the minority because long before I started to grind my beans, I have kept Canned coffee in my "DEEP" freezer for a year with absolutely no adverse effect on the taste I could tell.

I am a coffee drinker from way back in the 60's where we used stove top percolator to which I will today when I want that taste which is indeed a specific taste.

To say that there are no cans of coffee that have good coffee in them is alot for one person to "assume".

If you grind a notable coffee bean then put it in a can, does that degrade the quality of the grounds? Of course, I know that is not what was meant or being said but it should show the taste and great coffee is in the beholder of the taste buds.

For the record, I have family that indeed have discriminating taste when it comes to coffee and don't mind voicing their opinion one way or the other.

Seldom, and I do mean seldom do they criticize me for the coffee I prepare for them as I am the one they will goto to make coffee for the group. Quite often it has been coffee prepared from the "FREEZER!"

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I didn`t knew About.com has a page about how to store coffee. I guess you can find anything these days online.

Careful tan2sie30, you sort of sound like that woman on the State Farm commercial who was dating the guy she thought was from France.
(Uh, Bonjour!)

Yeah, there's a lot of good info. on About.com, eZine and others, but the folks on this forum are just as knowledgeable as any other source of information that I've came across. :)

NHcoffee

Jan 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Visit site
For the record, I have family that indeed have discriminating taste when it comes to coffee and don't mind voicing their opinion one way or the other.

with all due respect, I believe we are speaking about very different discriminating tastes.

There are a lot of people that drink canned coffee in this world. There are also alot of people that eat at McDonalds as well.

Does McDonalds have the discriminating clients? anyone that eats there doesn't know the difference between runny pxxp and good brown gravy! but that is their porogative

There are also people that put more cream than coffee and then load it down with sugar. Is that discriminating?

My implication of there is no good canned coffee is very simple. It is pure and simple an institutional product, mass produced to taste bland, blend of junk beans that have most likely been purchased by taking advantage of not only the farmers but the environment as well, it is not a fresh roast, it was made from the cheapest beans possible, and once frozen the oils and waters have been separated and thus the chemical composition of coffee has been changed. IMO

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate and respect your opinion NHCoffee and I thank you.

Had you qualified your statement with "IMO" in the beginning of your original post as you have done at the end of your last post, I would have said nothing at all.

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Another point which has of yet gone unmentioned....most modern freezers are self-defrosting, and pull the moisture out on a continuous basis. Anything not *really* well-sealed will lose moisture as a result. Using one of those Seal-A-Meal vacuum baggers would probably give fairly good protection, but even then, I would double-bag to avoid any potential leakage.

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
I believe the best ways to store coffee are in metal, glass or ceramic canisters - and airtight. Whether you choose to store in the refrigerator (which I do) or freezer (I don't), you are looking for maximum flavor and freshness, right? Just watch out for moisture, air, light and heat.