Do any airlines serve decent coffee in the sky?

IDrinkPurelyCoffee

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering. I recently flew on KLM/Lufthansa and several other airlines, and on long flights, it was impossible to get a halfway decent cup of coffee ... of course I was sitting in the Masses Classes!

Have you ever had a good experience of airline coffee? I don't mean in the airport, either. I mean in the sky. I'd love to know... which airlines make the best & the worst coffee!

Kenneth

Last edited:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You my friend are looking for the holy grail where there is nothing but stale paper cups filled with rancid rain water and some mud thrown in... Why would you even be drinking coffee on an airplane? I tend to take a benedryll, or drink 4 beers and pass out for the duration of the flight, I hate airplanes, hate traveling in general, so even if you served the best coffee on the planet, I probably would not enjoy it.. But sure.. Let's see if I can help you out...

Uhhh... How about we list the airlines that DON'T have BAD coffee first? Here's I'll even give you a helping hand starting the list....

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with Mugs on this one, drink as much vodka (or beer) as you can and sleep, save the coffee for waking up on the other end. I am affraid of the coffee they serve in flight.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just for your information any food/drinks will taste different up in the air. They actually have to cook food with alot more spices because of what happens to your taste buds in the air. Have watched a few T.V. programs on this and was amazed at how they have to spice things totally different for flights so this may be part of the problem as well.
Brian

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just for your information any food/drinks will taste different up in the air. They actually have to cook food with alot more spices because of what happens to your taste buds in the air. Have watched a few T.V. programs on this and was amazed at how they have to spice things totally different for flights so this may be part of the problem as well.
Brian

Do you have any links to youtube/other videos on this? I haven't heard of that before, I did a google and came up with well... Nothing useful. (Damn you Google.. All Knowing my BUTT)

So they add spices because up in the air your tastebuds are different? I did not know that. I did know that one in the air is like 1 and a half on the ground (hence 4 beers is like 6) but... I never considered the TASTE before... Tasted normal to me?

Is it that the taste buds react differently? Or is it because of the different pressure? They say it's pressurized but take a pack of chips or peanuts up the next time and when you pull them out again the bag is inflated, so... Something to do with that?

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I remember it was to do with the pressure. It basically said that if you used the same seasoning in the air as you did on the ground it would taste bland, so they have to season it for air traffic consumption. It might of been a program on food network so maybe do a search there?

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the simplest answer to the question of this thread is,
No airline in the world serves decent coffee in the sky.
I have never even found decent coffee at any of the air-ports and I have been to around 7, 8 International air-ports.
:coffee:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a lot. This was quite an eye opener! Amazing to say the least. I wonder then... Does this also mean that mountain coffee will taste different at sea level than it does on the mountain? It's not really the same as a pressurized airplane but... It got me thinking.

I do know that coffee you drink on the beach tastes different than coffee from the city, but that could be attributed to the salty air, I guess, I really have no solid proof on that front. Although it would be interesting to know.

I know that coffee which was grown at different altitudes is different as well. Sounds like an idea for a webumentary and youtube channel!

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
OK... I have to admit, the coffee in the El Salvador airport was pretty decent.. Don't recall the brand, but it was pretty nice. Supposedly some special blend they had going on locally.

I guess they did some grafts of different coffee plants and that was what they came up with... I'll have to dig into it a bit and see if I can find the specific name of the plants they grafted.. It was pretty nice actually.