Which machines are a coffee shop must?

charleseking86

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Which machines are a coffee shop must?

Looking at opening a local coffee shop in our towns library.

The library doesn’t have drainage. So I am going to purchase a self-contained unit which holds the fresh water and grey water. The health department has approved the unit. At the moment I am looking for other items such as,

Espresso machines, and which one has the most functions for the buck?

Local roaster company in the ABQ NM area.

And which other machines are essential in the functionality of a coffee shop. :-D

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
With some quick Googling (takes all of .00002 seconds), I found Michael Thomas Coffee Roasters | Hand roasted coffee for a busy world. to be popular in the Albequerque area.

As far as espresso machines go, will you have a trained barista or just people walking up to get an espresso drink on their own? This will determine what "type" of machine you will need (automatic versus aemi-auto). Also a budget would help as machines can cost anywhere from $99 to thousands. Any additional information will be useful.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I have been looking into espresso machines and here is a list of some that I have read that people love:

Saeco Via Venezia - $300
Rancilio Silvia V3 - $640 (I suggest getting a PID as I hear that otherwise the water can come out a little on the cold side)
Crossland Coffee CC1 - $700 (Buolt in PID controller (allows you to change the infusion time, brew temperature, and brew time))
Breville BE900XL - $1200 (dual boiler machine, steam and brew at the same time)

As far as grinders are concerned, although everyone has their opinion, here're two that I have researched that seem to be liked:

Baratza Vario - $450
Mazzer Mini - $850

I have seen many people get yelled at on this forum so I will be sure to emphasize: The grinder is more important than the machine and should be your first consideration.
You can have the nicest espresso machine in the world but if your coffee isn't ground fine enough, it doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts