Looking to make a Temporary Web Site until Full Site goes live?

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Any Ideas on where and how I can throw up a quick website for a beginning Roasting Business.

Already bought the domain names and was looking at Go Daddy or 1 & 1, but am open to options?

What about a Facebook page?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Just a low-tech person's thoughts... I don't see the value of doing a quick website or FB page just to have a web presence... unless you have the know-how to promote a site and drive people to it, a quick website probably won't be of much benefit.

How long will it take to have your full site ready?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for recommendations for a site to make a webpage or a web page server?

While you're creating your website, you can create a Facebook page and keep it current.

I noticed that when a new business is just starting to work on their website, they put a "Under construction, please check back soon" sign on the landing page.

You can always direct people to your Facebook page while they're waiting for your website to be up and running.

Rose

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Peter

It will most likely, to finalize logo design and decide on content, take me 60-90 days before I have all of the content that I wish to include.

Work and Travel schedules dictate a delay in the Start-Up.

It may be sooner but from my experience, when I did not complete all of the Content quickly enough, the designer get impatient and the flow is what suffers.

If I had nothing to do, it would be within a week, but running other businesses, I know how long it has taken in the past.

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank You Rose,

Yes, I was thinking that this particular forum is where to pose such a question, is it not?

I wanted to have a little, self-made site, that I can do either for free or a low cost. As well as, where to best host it. Something just 3-5 pages that could be the temporary site, until all of the content is determined, written, layed-out and approved.

I just got 1st draft of Logo Designs, back from my Artist and beginning to write the content. I Could use some help if I can send it to you through a Private Message, don't want to show publicly until a design is chosen.

coffewalk

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Any Ideas on where and how I can throw up a quick website for a beginning Roasting Business.

Already bought the domain names and was looking at Go Daddy or 1 & 1, but am open to options?

Don't know your level of web page design experience and computer experience, but let's say you are somehow experienced I would recommend you buy yourself a template (I personally would recommend a web template which is based on Drupal)
there are other ones too like wordpress or joomla, this are the most known one.
Template can be bought by an outfit like themeforest. net
Their themes are quite professional and not too expensive and you can edit them on you own, not difficult to too.
Now to your server where you have you website stored and managed. Stay away from go daddy or 1&1 for name registration of you website perfect but not for hosting.
There are other ones which do better and provide more service.

You can start your website small, you don't have to have yet your logo's or artwork ready.
Your issue on the beginning of your business is that search engines like google find you and can bring you traffic.
You should have your contact page done so people can find your business.
From there you can branch out in offering your particular services, maybe a blog or even like this site here a forum.
The possibilities are endless.
Just keep in mind low cost or free is more to catch to get you. I have never gotten a free or low cost coffee which is good. The same is for web design.
Stay away from the free and low cost stuff, on the end it can even turn out bad.

louisan

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Coming from a coffee roaster and CTO, developer, advertiser, etc... start small by letting others do most of the work for you.

Domain: GoDaddy is very bad, please stay away from them. Try buying domains at Dotster, I've used them for over 10 years now, countless websites - they don't sell your information, which is important, among other things they do well.

Ecommerce: For the website, hosted, themed, all ecommerce ready -> Shopify provides all the ecommerce power you'll need for a very long time, for a very low price. I've used them in the past for many websites for many industries, including our own retail right now and a few other coffee roasters. They have free templates. They handle all security measures. All you need is to setup some things, and if you need help just ask me. =) They also let you try it for free for a month...

Siteground: Good hosting if you don't want ecommerce with Shopify, use a free template to throw up a page. Support is great, live chat available too.

Facebook: Great idea! Free, and when your full site is up, you just link to it. You'll be ahead of the game if you start up your Facebook business page now anyway!

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Just a low-tech person's thoughts... I don't see the value of doing a quick website or FB page just to have a web presence... unless you have the know-how to promote a site and drive people to it, a quick website probably won't be of much benefit.

How long will it take to have your full site ready?

I agree, why bother with a temp page, just get the real one live. You only get once to make a first impression.

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Wordpress is a great, free CMS that has a lot of easy to use templates that you can fill with your own content. These templates can be built out with dozens of pages or just one. If you're looking for something simple but legitimate for now, I'd look into that.

You just need to find a hosting company (Blue Host is solid) and get a basic plan. If you're computer savvy its fairly simple to set it up. If not, wordpress is very well documented with lots of support.

Then as you need, you can build out the site with more content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
@louisan,

I will try to use Dotster next time for hosting. thank you for that lead.

I checked out "Shopify" and don't thing that for a new business, a $79.00 per month, cost for the hosting, is a prudent move.

I will try to put up a Facebbok page in the next week or two.

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Slurp,

I do understand that, but since I am taking a more Educational Twist, the content is taking some time to gather.

ChefDavid

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi @JohnD18,

I do not think that I possess the skill set to adapt a WordPress site, off of the shelf, to meet my needs.

I have built other websites in the past and was instructed by my Website Designer to select a WordPress template, but I wasn't doing the heavy lifting So-to-Speak. I don't think that I could so that. I need a more interactive website building tool, untilI can pay a designer.
Right now my funds are being allocated to, paying for packaging artwork, setting up my Cupping Displays and buying Coffee.

I will check out Bluehost, for Hosting.