Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Alex,

I didn't know that the cup profile would change that much with the roasting. So that mean I couldn't use the cup profile of croptocup then. I will have to do some PR and develop some networking with known barista, magazine, and cupper to get some references and cup feedback. I believe this will take sometime to know the people and have them willing to spare their precious time with another startup. I think it is only fair to them that I exist for at least 1 year to show that I'm more than a few week fast burning startup before asking for their time.

So definitely, I'm planning to change the product section of the website in order to add more real pictures. Since I cannot go to Indonesia before end of year, I might just ask croptocup to use their last cupping trip material if they agree. This should give them some promo and will help me at the same time. If a competitor decide to use my source for their coffee beans, then croptocup will only be happier hehehe.

Some of my good competitor in Montreal, are 49th Parallel from British Colombia. One of the most well known coffee shop (Cafe Myriade; www.cafemyriade.com/) reputation to have one of the best coffee in Montreal use their roasted beans and sell it in the shop as well. I'm just a bit surprised that company is that high ranking as they cannot provide fresh beans 5000km away plus time on tablet! Their website doesn't provide any informations about the cupping and where the beans come from exactly. 49th Parallel

I believe I can aim to become better than them in a 6 months period and to try to get my product aside theirs in some influencial/reputable coffee shops of my local market area.

Answering your points:
    a. Better and more extensive selection from a certain country.
    - This was my first strategy with Indonesia, I need to focus more on green bean import and roasting. I think I can still focus on this strategy but also including other area to boost my credibility by having product that people know and trust already. If I know what they like, I must be trustable right?

b. free shipping.

- This is always a good thing to offer if the margin are good enough. Like we discussed, I should probably put in place a subscription system or specify date in the month when I ship the products to save on shipping cost. Density of population in Canada are spread on a big territory, making the shipping cost a bit more expensive than most place. For the local market, I aim to use Uber delivery system when it becomes available. Fast, cheap, direct delivery.

c. Gift card.

- I have put in place a referral (bring a friends get 20$ off your next order), bring X income and get X% permanent discount and so on. Mostly to aim at social network advertising. I'm also looking for a system for returning customer to save as they keep ordering from us.

d. membership advantage

- (Mix of point b and c)

e. incentive bonus program

- ( answer at c)

f. if you can make some sort of partnership with famous Barista / Cupper / or even some famous farm/ coop and use them as marketing tool. it is like Nike, using Michael Jordan and Roger Federer for their own promotion and marketing.
    perhaps you can align with some well known Barista / cupper or even other company to get your credibility UP.

This is the hardest part, you need a strong PR in order to be able to achieve this type of goal. This is the most important part of a business, the networking and knowing the right people. For that I really thank you for sharing your contact with me and offering me your advise and assistance. Since I don't have anything of value to offer you at this point, this is really a noble gesture from you to offer your assistance and mentoring. And for that, I'm very grateful.

Regards,

Banned
    I didn't know that the cup profile would change that much with the roasting. So that mean I couldn't use the cup profile of croptocup then.

### let me give you an example. let's say that you have the best cheese in the world. however, this cheese can turn into all different kind of flavors depends on a cook and how he prepares it. same for "rice", "flour"...etc. Same thing applies to "green coffee". A roaster is a cook with different sets of skills. he can cook lighter, darker, variation of temps to bring out different flavors.... every varietal of coffee beans have different density (Arabica bean is much harder than Robusta) and size (Arabica is much bigger than Robusta), so according to density, size, varietal..etc, A cook (roaster) can bring out different flavors depends on how he roasts. SO CUPPING PROFILE CHANGES ACCORDING TO THE OUTCOME OF THE ROAST ####

Some of my good competitor in Montreal, are 49th Parallel from British Colombia. One of the most well known coffee shop (Cafe Myriade; www.cafemyriade.com/) reputation to have one of the best coffee in Montreal use their roasted beans and sell it in the shop as well. I'm just a bit surprised that company is that high ranking as they cannot provide fresh beans 5000km away plus time on tablet! .

### this company is not so bad at all. below is coffee from cooperative, NOT SINGLE ORIGIN. it does not indicate a single farm info, but he has sufficient info about the coffee
    Bolivia Irupana

below is Single origin and it says SINGLE ORIGIN. and if you look at the page, it has again sufficient info about the coffee, farm, location, process...etc
    La Virgen

however, if i were them, I would put REAL PHOTOS of the farms / coops, as they travel the farms/coops and cup personally and buy the coffee ####

This is the hardest part, you need a strong PR in order to be able to achieve this type of goal. This is the most important part of a business, the networking and knowing the right people. For that I really thank you for sharing your contact with me and offering me your advise and assistance. Since I don't have anything of value to offer you at this point, this is really a noble gesture from you to offer your assistance and mentoring. And for that, I'm very grateful.

### You are very welcome. I am very glad that at least some of the members appreciate my input. and my information can really help people to avoid mistakes and do better in business, that will make me really happy to be here in this forum. however, I know that this kind of "communication" via forum is not really enough to get your business going and get everything ready. Just not enough information. Someday, if you have time, come on down to Guatemala and really experience the coffee origin country. That would be a tremendous experience for you. take care ####

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post

### You are very welcome. I am very glad that at least some of the members appreciate my input. and my information can really help people to avoid mistakes and do better in business, that will make me really happy to be here in this forum. however, I know that this kind of "communication" via forum is not really enough to get your business going and get everything ready. Just not enough information. Someday, if you have time, come on down to Guatemala and really experience the coffee origin country. That would be a tremendous experience for you. take care ####

I'm taking note on everything you say, I'm actually transforming the product section to have a layout template to describe the coffee origin and characteristics. Slowly it is transforming.

I didn't notice what you saw on the 49th parallel website about the single origin description and the more general for not single origin. This is a good reference to start with at least for inspiration.

I also have to soon feed my writer with article to write about different location where coffee grows with some general knowledge to educate the customers at the same time.

As for going south to visit, this is definitely something I would enjoy doing as soon as possible. I just don't know when it would be feasible, my wife is currently 35 weeks pregnant of our second daughter and we moving to a new condo in June. I would like to have the chance to go sometime in the summer or fall, I will see how I can manage all these events altogether. It's more a matter to find the time with the family obligation and professional obligation. I'm also a senior IT consultant for the banking sector which keep me very busy too. Do you have any preference of when would be the best time to come by? That could be a starting point in planning a visit

Thanks for the invitation! I will do my best to honour it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by javanize.me View Post
    I'm taking note on everything you say, I'm actually transforming the product section to have a layout template to describe the coffee origin and characteristics. Slowly it is transforming. Do you have any preference of when would be the best time to come by? That could be a starting point in planning a visit

Thanks for the invitation! I will do my best to honour it.
    Summer vacation might be nice. normally, I take my son (15 yrs old) to Guatemala for one month.
    to learn Spanish, father & Son time, work out together everyday, learn about coffee business, basically to build his character.
    so, we both stay there for one month. that could be a good time to come and visit.

Website loads quickly even on low speed but few things to consider are:

- Logo Design
    - Font Size
    - Add some fancy looks
    - In single item page, the other images of the product are not consistent in size....the thumbnail should look similar
    - The site needs some more text to get the attention of Google Spiders

Do consider the above points and also don't neglect the pagespeed as search engine counts that thing. I am the founder of friedcoffee and have been blogging from 3-4 years. I have designed websites from scratch and attained them to good looking things without compromising the speed and it's really a worth thing to have.

Hi Friedcoffee, I'm definitely going to improve it. As for the text, the site is less than 2 months old. We are going to work on it in the coming weeks / months.

I'm going to redo all the coffee product section, change the layout as well to include more specific coffee informations. I didn't think about the image, but you are right, I should keep thing more homogeneous over the image size.

The problem is I'm not very strong on frontend web development. But will try to improve nonetheless.

Just visit your website, very good work! Is it a fulltime project for you?

I would be looking for relationship with other blogger, website in order to improve the visibility of my project. Do you think it could fit in your web context? Just looking forward, we are not yet ready to have the website promote at large yet, but that day will come soon.

Thank for your input!

Thanks for liking the website. It's still not full time right now but yet working on it and hope some day it turns to be full time. You can stay in touch with me, there is a contact page on the website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links