Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Love to have critical feedback

I''ve had the opportunity over the last several months to put together a web site for a coffee client in Hawaii. Any feedback from coffee lovers like yourselves would be invaluable. The site is ultimately for us who love coffee and Hawaii. I just want to make it the best it can be. Thanks so much.

The url is in my profile.

site

Nice site. Well composed and easy to use. Only suggestion would be to make the slide show for the various plantations run faster and with more pics of the actual plantations.

Like the Hwaiian proverbs. Would make it bigger and animated on home page w/link to the past ones(the book page).
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Thanks

Thanks! I think the proverbs are cool too. I am trying to design shirts with the proverbs on them right now. I have a couple samples that I wear around. We haven't settle on a style yet.

I'll take a look at the home page again. We have quite a few good photos that we're not using yet. It would be easy to add more. . . . animating the proverbs . . . cool idea.

Proverb animated

equus007: Well, it has taken me some time to carve out some time to add animation to the Hawaiian Proverb on the front page. What do you think? Clicking on the link to the right of each proverb takes you to the translation and gives you a chance to browse more of them.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Super Moderator
    I really like this site. I didn't look at it before but it takes a long time to load and navigate.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans
    relax and roast some beans

jlyon10:

I have wondered about load time with the larger images. We wanted to give a sense of place with the larger photos. I live on the mainland but my wife grew up on Moloka'i and we visit every couple of years. Looking at the photos on the site takes me back to the places I've been.

Was the load time for the images really distracting as you were going through the site?

Thanks for checking it out.

Super Moderator

load time

Once the site was loaded it didn't take long to move around. Just something to keep in mind. Especially for people who don't have a fast connection.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans

Adding music to the site . . .

So, for some time we have been wondering about adding Hawaiian music to the site. We've found an amazing local musician who has agreed to let us feature his songs. I am working on creating a page where we can share his work.

A question I have is whether anyone has feedback on having the music play automatically when people first go to the site or should there be a button you click to listen? I've visited a lot of site that have music and it is annoying to me when it starts without my control. Most of the time I mute my speakers. But, this music is so appropriate . . . Hawaiian . . . a local artist. It feels like it really works with the feeling of Hawaii and our Hawaiian coffee.

Any thoughts?

Super Moderator

music

I agree that when music starts playing all by itself it is annoying especially at work, but in your case I think it would be perectly appropriate. I would pick one song and always play that when the site comes up. If people want to hear more then they can play other songs.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans

Honest feedback

1. I lost the will to live trying to navigate the website and find all the coffees
    2. It's full of irrelevant stuff I don't care about (i'm not going on a holiday there)
    3. Please don't add music...my god!
    4. It gives me the impression of a company trying to pretend its group of bearded sandal wearing tree huggers whilst making a profit.
    5. Hard coffee related content is thin

Recommendations

Most adults like me can read real good, try putting on a single page, what you seem to want to present to me in 5 pages (I hate to keep clicking next to read the story a paragraph at a time).

Stop trying to prove how good you are at doing websites and concentrate on the content. The site is like a fancy chocolate box with no chocolates inside. Put in some hard information regading the coffees you sell. type of bean, height grown, cupping notes, roast levels....recommended preparation methods e.g. drip, espresso, cappa, latte etc..is the coffee a morning, all day, after dinner etc..
    Premium beans from throughout Hawai‘i come together, capturing the essence of the islands. A medium roasting releases that essence. ...what essence, whats it taste like

Show more about how the coffee is grown, harvested, processed, graded, roasted...picture of your roaster and nice steaming piles of beans. Also a bit about your master roaster would be nice.

I personally hate it when people call something "Island Style Kona"....and it's got 10% Kona. I know you say so, but you know, it isn't Kona is it. It's also questionable how much 10% does for a blend...I know Kona etc.. is the big headline bean, but really 10% is a miniscule unimportant amount for that type of coffee. Same comment applies to all the big name coffees forming only 10% of the total e.g. Island Style Moloka‘i contains no less than 10% Moloka‘i beans.

10% in a blend is the equivelant of 3 or 4 beans out of the 40 used to make a single espresso shot. What are all these blends for, is there a rationale behind their design, or is it just to have a large number of different coffee choices, each with a big name coffee in very small proportion.

Add other hard coffee content

Otherwise attractive website, that needs a few of the "gadgets" removing, made clearer to navigate and with better hard coffee content. A long hard look needs to be taken at the reasons/rationale for creating a blend.

Sorry it's not all super positive, it is first impressions though....and you wouldn't have got any value from a post that said "brilliant site"!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links