Too much information in a website?

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
I've read (in this forum) that customers are more likely to leave a site if there's too much info.

I've also been told from a member here that search engines like a lot of text in a site and you're more likely to be picked up by them.

Which is the better advice?

Being new to website design, I don't know the boundaries.

CoffeeDetective

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Visit site
You're right on both counts, in a way. Both people and the major search engines love a site with plenty of text. The trick is, for your readers, to create a site architecture that makes it easy for people to find exactly the information they want.

In other words, while people love a site with a great deal of content, they don't like having to work hard to find the particular topic they are looking for at that moment.

Good sites combine plenty of content with good, intuitive navigation.

Best wishes,

Nick

nickmuso

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Visit site
Hi davidsbiscotti,
I agree with the CoffeeDetective, it's whether you can find the information you're looking for or not. Nothing wrong with a site having tons of information as long as it's clearly presented and well structured with a transparent navigation system.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Ha, I've actually thought about adding subliminal content, but I think Nick is right, Google would murder me if I covered the background with hidden text and keywords. I do have a hidden link to a page in my site that I use for archiving and general storage, I hope it doesn't confuse the Googlebots. :D

Thanks Equus & Nick.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Okay, I just removed the link. I can still access the page through my sitebuilder program.

Should I resubmit the website to Google now?
Maybe that's why I'm experiencing a decline in traffic lately.

CoffeeDetective

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Visit site
No, you never need to resubmit to Google. As for traffic, there are two fundamental ways to increase it: 1. Create more content pages. 2. Get more quality and relevant inbound links.

n

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Google AdSense target marketing -

Why offer visitors a convenient link to your competitors' products?

Is the strategy is to at least make a nickel on the window shoppers?

nickmuso

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Visit site
Could be many reasons, depending on site.
Could be a new site where you haven't applied any filters yet to filter out ads that are directly competing with you. Could be that you accept that people have a choice and if they don't like the look of your product you at least make something when they depart. Could be that the product that you are offering is fairly specific as in custom made rather than the generic products shown in the ads. Could be that you're making more than dimes.

CoffeeShopPromos

Dec 27, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Visit site
Website Content

This is a good thread. I think Coffee Detective said it well. One thing I would add is to be sure your visitors know exactly what you do as soon as your page loads...I believe the stats say you have 5 seconds to deliver your first impression. If they don't see what they are looking for they are sure sure to click off of your website and on to the next. If they click off of your website on the same page they entered, it's called a bounce. You can monitor bounce rates with several free tools online. I prefer google's webmaster tools. It's an excellent way to monitor how people are finding your website through keywords, referring links, etc. You can also see how long visitors stay, how many pages they view, or if they bounce. In short, the tools are an excellent way to see if your content is any good.