Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new web site

Nick, welcome to the discussion. You're absolutely right about learning new languages, it isn't easy.

If you see though, josip1978 did come to an English speaking forum to ask for critiques on their website.

Tambien, hay sitios en el internet que se puede utilizar facilmente para traducir al ingles de casi cualquier lengua.
    That's Spanish for: There are websites that can easily be used to translate to English, from almost any language. If I were to create a website in another language, I'd surely use them.
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Super Moderator
    Hello Nickmuso

Believe me, I know how difficult it is to learn to speak another language. I also know that it is often even more difficult to learn how to write in that language.

I applaud Jossip1978's hard work in creating the web site. It's very obvious that a lot of time and effort went into making it.

However, I believe that the web site would get a better reception if Jossip1978 could ask someone to proofread it and correct what you described as "a few small mistakes and awkwardness of phrasing." Almost every author needs an editor, no matter what language you're using.

Rose

Hi Pinkrose and Caffe biscotto,
    Good points, I agree there are translation sites that would do the job, although they also sometimes make mistakes or are unable to render vernacular sayings. But surely using those is a bit of a cop out, shouldn't josip1978 be given some credit for writing it him or herself rather than taking the easy way of using a translation service?
    I agree that the copy could then have been checked over by a native English speaker for mistakes, sensible suggestion.
    Nickmuso

Using a translation service is no more of a cop out than using a calculator or an encyclopedia or a spell checker.

There are tools out there to insure accuracy, efficiency and thoroughness. If it was someone's diary, then fine, let there be the mistakes. But it's a website, conveying information, so let it be more accurate. Come on Nick, you know this.

Hi caffe biscotto,
    I'm not sure if I totally agree with you there. If it was a business website I'd be with you 100%, it has to be professional with no spelling mistakes and correct grammar.
    But this is a hobby website as I see it, all be it with a few ads thrown in, and is offering free information on a topic that obviously interests josip1978. By writing the copy himself he is getting good practice at his written English, in much the same way that it is sometimes good to leave the calculator to one side, and do that calculation in your head or on paper.
    I also feel that there is something of josip1978's personality that comes across in the slightly off English, a bit like someone speaking English with a foreign accent. Again, only acceptable in my view because it isn't a business site.
    Nickmuso

I see, there is a difference. In a way, it is more like a diary.

Nice site and good info. I almost want to link to it from my blog (not the "spinning yarns" in my current www though).

I like the rum recipes.

Super Moderator
    Hi Guys,

I think anything that's posted on the Internet, including a diary, blog, journal, web page, professional web site, or even an E-mail should be proofread for grammar and punctuation. If you're putting something out there for people to read, it should be as easy to read as possbile. That means not causing your reader to slow down, question, stumble, stop, and then just click onto another site. Okay...I'll admit a couple of small typos or word choice mistakes can be overlooked, but for the most part there is really no excuse for not proofreading.

That's my "two pennies" worth on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Rose

Hi Rose,
    That sounds like the usual weather here in Hampshire, U.K. at this time of year, but this morning woke up to about 4" of snow cloaking the trees and garden and with brilliant sunshine. My wife and I went for a walk round a nearby lake, and whilst there was pleasant warmth from the sun in sheltered spots, the east wind cut through us like a knife.
    Getting back to the subject of the post, the reason I joined in the discussion is my own pet hate, and that is the superiority assumed by some natural born English speakers about the language. In particular I am thinking about British tourists who go to France (or other countries) and make no effort to communicate in the native language and just assume that everyone will speak English. I know that English is rapidly becoming the language of the international business world and also the internet, but to my mind that's no excuse not to try and learn a second language ourselves. Who knows, in another 20 years the international business language could well be Mandarin.
    Nickmuso

Nick, don't hate, participate. Ha, just kidding. I've heard the same about the Mandarin language. More people in the world speak Chinese than any other language. More countries speak English, is what I've heard.

We really have to be flexible and go with the flow, so to speak. Who knows, our next president might swear in by saying "Fo shizzle!". I wouldn't care. People can speak how they want.

Nick, sounds like your winter is worse than mine. We got an inch of snow yesterday morning. It's almost to a point where snow will melt away the next day. Summer is coming.

Hi,

You are right that English is my second language. I am from Croatia. It's one of ex Yugoslavian countries.

I will definitely ask for help with English on my web site.

And to you guys I am very grateful for all of your comments

Josip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links