FDA Approval for selling Coffee online?

coffeeseller

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I recently went to SCAA trade show in Houston and found some amazing Yemeni coffee.

I want to start selling it online. Do I need an FDA license to sell?

Does the coffee need a license itself to sell in packaging? Its Green Beans, and Frest Roasted Coffee. Nothing added to it.

I'll truly appreciate any help. I have been doing research and I'm unable to find out if I need an FDA license and / or if the coffee itself needs FDA approval to sell.

Thanks

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I do not think that would be necessary to sell a food product. If you are planning on importing it then that is an entirely new set of hoops through which you will be jumping. Local health laws may apply for selling food products though.

Did we meet? I was working the Hottop booth a good percentage of the show...

coffeeseller

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Randy.

I am not actually importing. The Yemeni Coffee company already has local stock in the US which they have imported themselves. I will just be purchasing from that local US stock and reselling it.

I'll check local Texas health laws as far as selling coffee online goes. Thanks for the tip. If anyone else has any information, I'll appreciate it.

And I do not think I got a chance to meet you, mainly because I do not even remember the Hottop booth. My apologies. I spent most of my time at the Haraaz Yemeni Coffee booth.

Thanks once again

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
And I can say the same, wishing I would have seen the Yemeni booth and stopped by. Years back I had some "real" Yemen and it was spectacular in my espresso blend. I had ordered some more recently and was disappointed.

coffeeseller

May 4, 2011
Visit site
They actually have their products online if you missed the booth.Its yamanicoffee.com. That's whom I am actually wanting to purchase from. Their taste was completely different. A little bit fruity and then a little bit chocolatey after taste. Very very interesting.

I have also been searching online for information about Texas Health Services, but have not yet found any real helpful information. I guess I will call them tomorrow.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I would start with city or county contacts. They usually administer local as well as state statutes and will let you know if you need a permit or license. It gets complicated. For example, you might have one set of lenient requirements if you are just doing wholesale, and another more restrictive set if doing retail, and different again if the coffee comes to you prepackaged for resale. And it should go without saying, that these requirements vary widely from state to state, but you only have to worry about where you are.