My project for the past few months.

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Time to officially admit my current project. I'm sure some of yall have already seen it, but I'm starting a thread to keep yall updated and to ask for advice when needed. Oh which I need as of now, I want to have an opinion on the layout of the site from a consumer POV. So I'm asking yall, what do you think of the site, the way it's layed out. Is it hard to navigate, confusing. Too much info on the pages etc. I hope yall enjoy the site, any criticism is appreciated. Thank-you

crackofdawncoffee.com

businessdegree

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
its nice i checked it but i think you need to add something like more color to the site, that would really lure people in but its going really good for you so far i see , good luck

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
One of the items on your "Facts & Uses" page caught my attention.

You wrote that "caffeine in coffee could actually help you to spot grammar errors"

Where did you find that bit of information????

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
First, get rid of the ads. Unprofessional. They devalue the site/product, and you're really not going to see anything but nickels and dimes, none of which will help your business one bit.

Too dark on the front page. Either lighten the background or have more contrast in the picture.

Lighting on picture is off and orientation of cup/spoon to viewer is wrong.

Is shipping included in price? I can't tell.
If not, pricing is high for the type of coffee you are offering.
With shipping, it's a little high, but in the ballpark.

There should be a link to your coffee on the top bar, having to click "Browse Products" is not good.

How can anything be "Our most popular coffee blend" if this is a new project? How many months/years of data do you have?

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Pink rose: 7 Health Benefits Of Coffee heres a link to where I found that info.

John p: thank-you for the info. It does not include shipping, so yes prices are high but that's what I'm getting from my drop shipper. I might need to change to someone else since prices are so high. The browse product ordeal, I've been trying to sort it out, but whenever I add it to the top bar it goes bizerk and doesn't want to function right. "Our most popular coffee blend" goes with the drop shipper.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
so you don't roast anything... you're just a facilitator then. (?)

If that's the case, the coffee I am seeing on the site should be priced about 60% less than what you are charging.

Pricing should be about grocery store level. The customers that will be interested in that level of coffee are not going to pay those kinds of prices. For those prices, they can buy top coffees from reputable roasters.

Rethink your business model. Seriously. You will have a much better chance at success.

Last edited:

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The prices I have on the site are from the roaster. Yes I am facilitator I guess, I don't have the equipment to roast my own nor the know-how. Though I plan on learning in the future.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
To be clear: The main issue is you're selling very low quality coffee (and poorly roasted from the looks of it) for quality coffee prices.

This should not sit well with you. Do you really want to build any sort of reputation this way? It's not about finding a different roaster, it's about finding one that's ethical.
Uou need to start over from square one, find a different niche, a different angle, this current concept has "bad" all over it.

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
No, I do not want to build a business around the reputation of selling a poor product. I'd like to ask though, for my personal info, how do you find a good roaster, or just quality coffee for that matter.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Mr. Shave is spot on.
Tony is fantastic!

You can't expect to gain the knowledge and expertise to create a viable coffee business without putting in some blood, sweat, and tears. Success is earned. Developing skills, both business and coffee, will go much further than trying to make nickels and dimes off of someone else's ill conceived idea.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Tony might be fantastic, but it apparently takes giving out a credit card number to even learn which coffee varieties he's selling. I was interested in peeping his offerings, but that didn't appear to be possible. (Maybe I missed something on his site.) While I realize it is possible to cancel your subscription before having to pay any money, for $25.33/lb. I'd have to know more about the offerings to even commit to giving out my credit card in exchange for a free sample.

Btw, John, around these parts, grocery store prices run roughly what crack of dawn was offering ($11-$12/lb) for apparently freshly roasted beans. Not sure how you can gauge quality or value from what you could see at crack of dawn's web site.

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand...

I guess I just don't see any "value added" in crack of dawn's marketing plan. Any coffee beans sold under this model are probably already available online from the original source.