10% Off All Roasted Coffee Bean Orders Over $50

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
When I see something like, "Supremo is the highest grade of Colombian coffee beans" in a website's description of their coffee, it makes me want to discount everything else they do. Supremo, excelsio, etc, is only referring to the bean size and not bean quality.

And then they state, "Our beans are only lightly roasted (officially considered a City Roast). We do not sell any other types of roasts" it makes me think why wouldn't they understand that some coffees, say Colombian coffee, does better a bit beyond that.

I am not saying they can't have good coffee, or that only "my way" is the right way... it just seems odd.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
When I see something like, "Supremo is the highest grade of Colombian coffee beans" in a website's description of their coffee, it makes me want to discount everything else they do. Supremo, excelsio, etc, is only referring to the bean size and not bean quality.

And then they state, "Our beans are only lightly roasted (officially considered a City Roast). We do not sell any other types of roasts" it makes me think why wouldn't they understand that some coffees, say Colombian coffee, does better a bit beyond that.

I am not saying they can't have good coffee, or that only "my way" is the right way... it just seems odd.

Peter, Supremo is the highest grade of Colombian coffee beans. There are many references to such on the internet. Here is one such:
Lexington Coffee Roasters -Fresh, Flavorful & Fair / Coffee Glossary
"Supremo: Highest grade of Colombian coffee, determined by bean size".

Your other criticism is well taken. I understand that not everyone will agree with our light roast philosophy, but we enjoy it and that is what we hope others will try and enjoy also.

Len

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Even though all the information I have perused on this doesn't get as specific, I just adjusted the wording to say "Supremo is the highest size grade" to avoid any confusion on the matter. The more specific the better, I can relate to that.

Len

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Kaffee Frische... you must be one of us from the Father Land. :) You get points for that.

I'm not saying there is any intent to mislead, but the average person reading the description will come away thinking, "Ahhh, 'the highest grade of Colombian coffees, this must be the best there is", because that's kinda what's implied, and they would quite possibly be wrong.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
I have to say, very odd that you only do light roast, I can't stand light roast, it's like someone squeezing lemons in my mouth and light roast doesn't work for all beans, or even a light medium. Most of the beans I saw on your page love at least a good city or going into full city roast. I've had Columbian as a light medium (american roast I believe) and thought it was awful vs full city....was just weird tasting

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Everything is a bit of a work in progress. I believe I can overcome most of the overly lemony tones by bringing it up a notch to roasting to City+ which I believe is still considered to be a light roast. It is essentially the period of time and temp between 1st and 2nd crack, while City was right at the end of 1st crack. I do want to stay within my lightly roasted theme which is the niche I want to serve.

Len