New to forum

Nanc312

Nov 26, 2012
South Dakota
Visit site
Hi everyone!

While looking for more information on the Sonofresco roaster, I found this wonderful site! How did I miss this!? Anyway, I am anxious to know more about whatever I can glean. (With regards to roasters, and anything coffee related.)

I have been a home roaster for 6 years. I started out with the i-roast and eventually graduated to the Behmor roaster. Frankly, it has been 4 years since I have used the I-roast. I just gave it to my brother this weekend when he went back to Wisconsin.

Next year I hope to retire from my technology job and all I want to do is roast a little coffee for those who like to have fresh, top grade coffee. This past summer I took my Behmor to a farmer's market and demonstrated the roasting process. I gave out samples of my coffee for a period of 12 weeks. It was fun and rewarding and I have several people who have called to ask where they can buy my coffee.

The highlight of one of my weeks at the farmer's market was when one young gentleman stopped by to taste a sample of my coffee. We got to talking coffee, he asked me where I bought my beans, and we discussed the quality and grade of various beans. I found out just before he left that he was a barista. That Saturday it was a busy time and I continued handing out samples of the coffee and roasting a batch for others to see. It was probably 2 hours later the gentleman returned with another person. He wanted her to try my coffee. Come to find out she was also a barista.

However, I am still looking for a roaster that can do back-to-back roasts, but not a large roaster. That was what was so appealing about the Sonofresco 2 pound roaster. What worries me the most is losing the flavor I am so used to in my Behmor roaster. If there is such a difference between the air and the drum roaster then I have to be very careful. People have liked the Blanton's I have put together using my Behmor roaster

For 6 years I have documented 98% of every roast I have roasted. When you work in a school district it is easy to find people to sample my roasts. They have known me for so many years they knew they could tell me if it was bad. As I said, I just gave the i-roast to my brother so now I cannot test it, for flavor, against my drum roaster.

Looking forward to reading more on this forum.

Nancy S.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Nanc312" (Nancy)

Welcome to the Coffee Forums Website!

We have several members who are experienced with home roasting, and it's always nice to welcome new members who have an interest and experiences to share. We hope you will post your questions and join in the discussions when you're ready.

Rose

bkeith72

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
GeneCafe

Hey Nancy,

I spoke with my local boutique roaster last week about the SonoFresco approach as I was also considering the same time and he suggested that if I like drum roasted coffee, the SonoFresco would not likely produce the flavors I enjoy. From what I hear it tends to produce brighter coffees and there is a definite difference in the flavors between drum vs air roaster coffee. I'm currently using a GeneCafe and I think it might fit your needs very well. It's small batch (~250g) and can do back-to-back and has lots of control over time and temp, even more so than the Behmor allowing you to create custom profiles. I personally have run about 8 back-to-back roasts only allowing time enough for the roasted beans to cool in between with no issues. Give it a look and see what you think.

Brian

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Nancy,
A very warm welcome from my side to the coffeeforums. This is a superb forum especially for a person like you, as you will have the chance to learn a lot from other individuals here. Hope you have great, enjoyable stay here.
:coffee1:

Nanc312

Nov 26, 2012
South Dakota
Visit site
GeneCafe

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked into the GeneCafe previously and decided that 250 g per roast was not enough for what I would like to do. Frankly, I have people at work who want me to roast them coffee because they like it so much, and I have quite a number of people who are asking when I am going to do the farmers market again. Whatever the Behmor is doing, and the quality beans that I have, seems to be the key. That is why I would like to have one that would do more than a pound. US Roasters has nothing smaller than 3 kilo, except their sample roaster. That is a one pounder. I have looked at Right Roast and sent off an email to them, but have heard nothing back. Their smaller roaster looked promising. I believe I read about the Cafemino (Toper) Roaster here on this forum and had made inquiries. That also looked promising, but I have to finish reading some other reports on this because I believe there were some problems. Besides, it bothers me about parts, and how available would these parts be since it is outside the country. The price for the electric one, 1kg, began at $6400. I have some very good friends who have their own roasting business and coffee Café, and I need to speak to them about the Toper.

Anyway, thank you for your response. I really do appreciate it! There just does not seem to be a niche here in the United States, for those of us who want a small commercial roaster. However, I have just started looking and I must remember that patience is a virtue.:razz:

Nancy S.

PS Brian, what do you mean when you say local boutique roaster? I suppose they have a large roaster?

Hey Nancy,

I spoke with my local boutique roaster last week about the SonoFresco approach as I was also considering the same time and he suggested that if I like drum roasted coffee, the SonoFresco would not likely produce the flavors I enjoy. From what I hear it tends to produce brighter coffees and there is a definite difference in the flavors between drum vs air roaster coffee. I'm currently using a GeneCafe and I think it might fit your needs very well. It's small batch (~250g) and can do back-to-back and has lots of control over time and temp, even more so than the Behmor allowing you to create custom profiles. I personally have run about 8 back-to-back roasts only allowing time enough for the roasted beans to cool in between with no issues. Give it a look and see what you think.

Brian