Coffee tastes terrible!

woodlandelf

Feb 12, 2013
Woodland Hills, CA
Visit site
This is my first post. I drink coffee from time to time. I've cut back considerably. However, lately my coffee has been tasting terrible! I'm using a Melita filter on top of my coffee mug. I'm using filtered water. I just bought brand new coffee last night that was freshly ground and I poured water into my Melita filter. And the coffee tastes terrible! It's only started to do that lately. The only thing I can think is that the filters are old. Can that be the problem? Or the plastic Melita filter which I wash regularly. Any insight would be very much appreciated. :???:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
try this. put the filter over a another cup without the coffee... make sure water flush whatever it is on your filter by pouring maybe 1/2 cup and pour the water out.. now brew the coffee as usual and see if that changes anything.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "woodlandelf"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

What are you using to boil the water for your coffee? Is it an old tea kettle? Does it need a good cleaning?

Have you started taking any type of new medication that may be making things taste funny? Do the other things that you eat and drink taste okay?

Have you been using the same type of coffee each time you try using the filter? Is it always roasted and ground the same?

I guess you've already thought about these and other questions to try to figure out what's different. . . . there's gotta be a logical reason why this is happening to you!

Rose

woodlandelf

Feb 12, 2013
Woodland Hills, CA
Visit site
Thanks Rose!
When I go to Trader Joe's I always have a small cup of their coffee and it tastes great. I'm not taking any medication.
Thought it might be the electric kettle, but I drink tea most every day and it tastes very good.
I've tried numerous coffees and they all tasted horrible.

I thought it might be the plastic Melitta cone filter or the paper filters that are pretty old since I only drink coffee from time to time.
So, today, I used a paper towel to filter the coffee and it tasted much better, but still not perfect. The paper towel was a bit flimsy and it started to overflow (yikes) on the counter so I removed the cone. I think it may have tasted better if it could have dripped through fully.

I'm thinking now that it may be the paper filters. I'm going to buy new ones and see if that makes a difference. I'm drinking the cup I just made and it's pretty good. I'll buy some new filters and check in again.

Thanks so much for your help! It's such a mystery! :coffee:
Wendy

Hello "woodlandelf"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

What are you using to boil the water for your coffee? Is it an old tea kettle? Does it need a good cleaning?

Have you started taking any type of new medication that may be making things taste funny? Do the other things that you eat and drink taste okay?

Have you been using the same type of coffee each time you try using the filter? Is it always roasted and ground the same?

I guess you've already thought about these and other questions to try to figure out what's different. . . . there's gotta be a logical reason why this is happening to you!

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Also sometimes the Chloride from the paper bleaching process, would make the coffee taste very weird.... That is the one of the way to get the bad taste out from your filter.... Good luck

woodlandelf

Feb 12, 2013
Woodland Hills, CA
Visit site
I'm thinking it may be the paper or the plastic cone. In all the many many years that I have been drinking coffee, this had never happened. But now since I'm not drinking it as often my supplies are sitting around for a long time. I think I might go and buy new filters and a new cone. Hopefully that will do it.
Thank you!

Also sometimes the Chloride from the paper bleaching process, would make the coffee taste very weird.... That is the one of the way to get the bad taste out from your filter.... Good luck

woodlandelf

Feb 12, 2013
Woodland Hills, CA
Visit site
I found the solution!

It was the plastic Melitta cone that I was using. Apparently it was contributing to the horrible taste.
I ordered a Cuissential SlickDrip which is a silicone cone. It does not absorb odors like the plastic ones and it's collapsible!
My coffee tastes great again!

Thank you everyone!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I don't think french press is the best way to brew your coffee but it sure beats in convenience and preparation time. I would never trade my french press for any other brewing devices...... ;)