I'm new here, and gotta question

mj11991

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of starting a small coffee shop in my hometown and I'm starting to gather info. What's the best way to go? I've seen franchises available- Java Dave's is in our area (Oklahoma). Seems to be pretty decent coffee. But I'm gathering most of you roast your own or have a supplier who does it for you. What's your opinion on this? I know I'm opening a can of worms. But i figure this is the best way get honest insight. Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from you all.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
mj,

There's this awesome function on here called search. It's amazing how it works.

You should try it!

Also, there's a website outside of here with a funny name, Gloggy, Gobble, Gabbadoo... oh, yes, GOOGLE.

Read. Learn.
Read more. Learn more.
Learn nothing. Fail.
No one wants to fail, so make each search a productive one.

Good Luck.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "mj11991"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. You will find a lot of useful information here.

When most people begin their adventure exploring the possibility of opening a coffee shop, they tend to reach out to anyone and everyone for help and information. We get a lot of new members asking the same questions that you have asked. Many of our members take a lot of time and effort to answer these questions over and over again.

That is one of the reasons why we have a search feature on this forum (that's located at the right corner at the top of your page) You can type in your topic and search for responses that we've posted in the past.

You will learn a lot by reading through the topic areas on the Forum, and then when you have a specific question that comes to mind, feel free to ask.

You mentioned a franchise in your area. Have you paid any of them a visit and gotten information and insight from them? Do you visit local coffee shops in your area? Sometimes business owners are willing to be helpful and share their experiences and failures with you.

Keep reading, listening, and asking questions.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hey MJ... Welcome aboard...

I think Franchise is bad idea unless you have money to burn.

Pro: You have tons of support from decoration, equipment discount, proper advertising, and find and negotiating lease.
Con: You have to pay for all their work, and you have to pay every month you are in business, you have to redecorate your coffee shop every time they decide they need money. And you still do not own the name.

So you should start your own.
Now how to start is how you want to start the business.
Answer these questions.

1. How much money do you want spend. Set your budget that won't kill you.
2. See if purchasing existing makes more sense.
3. Exam your motive of owning coffee shop. Do you want to own it because you have retired from big corporation and want to do something to fill your need of existence or do you want the challenge of owning your own business.
4. Can you handle all the stress, extra work, taking crap from your ungrateful employes, and very blunt words from customer who just diagnosed with cancer.

There are tons of up side to the owning your own business but there are tons of more down side. I do enjoy every bits of owning my own business. I have owned since I was 19 years old and I am in my mid 40's. However I see too many people go into business thinking this walk in the central park on noon on sunny spring day. But truth is most of the business is like rushing into burning home with gas tank on your hand.

If you still want to own your own business with this discouraging words, please ask specific questions to get many of us to give you specific honest answers.

Good LUck

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Among my many books on coffee, I have two about running a coffee shop that I found interesting:

Start & Run A Coffee Bar: Marybeth Harrison, Tom Matzen: 9781770400351: Amazon.com: Books

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Starting And Running A Coffeebar: Linda Formichelli, W. Eric Martin, Susan Gilbert: 9781592574063: Amazon.com: Books

They're both easy to read, and they have lots of useful information.

I had another book on what to look for when you're considering a coffee franchise, but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

Rose

Last edited:

mj11991

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow! That was a truly unkind way to respond! I understand that newbies like me ask the same stuff over and over. But, sometimes there's a reason. I've searched for Java Dave's on this site. One hit. Hmm. But I thought, maybe, just maybe, someone looked into it and decided against it. And maybe, just maybe, they haven't posted anything about it. So, I thought maybe, just maybe, they'd share their insights with me, if I asked. Kinda what forums are about, I'm thinking. Done the Google thing, too (I even knew how it was spelled before you helped me!). Practically every hit goes to a franchising website. So, that didn't help[ much! But you don't know until you ask, so I asked. And your friendly, helpful response was my introduction into this wonderful forum. Yay! Hopefully, you don't treat your customers who have questions like I did the same way you treat strangers. Have a nice day!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
mj: It appears to me like you got a number of positive responses and chose to concentrate on the negative one. You should reread the entire thread. I see a few helpful hints above, reading recommendations as well an an invitation to continue asking questions...

lw

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Wow! That was a truly unkind way to respond! I understand that newbies like me ask the same stuff over and over. But, sometimes there's a reason. I've searched for Java Dave's on this site. One hit. Hmm. But I thought, maybe, just maybe, someone looked into it and decided against it. And maybe, just maybe, they haven't posted anything about it. So, I thought maybe, just maybe, they'd share their insights with me, if I asked. Kinda what forums are about, I'm thinking. Done the Google thing, too (I even knew how it was spelled before you helped me!). Practically every hit goes to a franchising website. So, that didn't help[ much! But you don't know until you ask, so I asked. And your friendly, helpful response was my introduction into this wonderful forum. Yay! Hopefully, you don't treat your customers who have questions like I did the same way you treat strangers. Have a nice day!

MJ,

If you look above and read what is written up there, there are very few negative answers.
But if you think this is very negative toward your question, you sure aren't ready to own your own business.

To own a business, it takes tons of patience. You always have to look for what you need and dig up the goodness in pile of crap people flick at you.
Sometimes you have to take the jab just to find a way to serve the customers better. If this forum was so negative and discouraging, you haven't seen nothing yet....
This is love rub from some of us......

I did point out few things about owning any business. Not just coffee house. If you already have experience owning your own business, you already have done half of your home work. If you haven't, you have tons of painful learning process lay ahead of you...

Good LUck

haveacupont

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
If you really want to start a coffee business consider gathering customers by promoting your brand through word of mouth. This is how I started mine and I now have customers around the world. I invested 1500 to launch my business and it skyrocketed. Would love to share details.