ISO inexpensive good quality roast beans.

DougHuffman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a new guy here, but not to coffee or to struggling to brew a great cup. I was raised on a Chemex with fresh ground beans, so my Chemex is a sixty year family tradition.

The cost of beans has sky-rocketed but not the quality. I seen beans ranging from 50 cents per ounce to $1.50 per ounce in a grocery store. I will not darken the door of $pecialty shop$ for refusing to pay for their chi-chi ambience.

How can I balance cost/quality?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
You guys are too harsh on a guy. Ok this is what I have seen.
Most of the micro roasters, you will need to pay around 12-15 dollar per 12 oz coffee.
If they know what they are doing, it will be up to about 15-20 dollars per pound or more.

I have found this coffee called Community coffee in New Orleans.

They are under 10 dollars per 12 oz single origin coffee.
I don't think you will find anything cheaper.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
You cannot find good, or even acceptable beans from a grocery store. Beans in a grocery store are dead before they are stocked on shelf. Beans have a lifespan of 2-3 weeks after roasting, not after purchasing. And as many before me have said, "If it has an expiration date, then it was never good."

If you are making coffee by hand, and fresh grinding, you need to start with good coffee, otherwise it's just a tedious exercise.
Find a good local roaster, or order from a reputable roaster online.

As far as balancing cost/quality.... As a general rule, the higher priced boutique/specialty roasters will yield the best value. Coffee from the grocery store at $9.00/lb results in low quality and is a poor value vs Single Origin coffees from a reputable small roaster @ $17.00 per 12 ounces, high quality and a very good to exceptional value.

We charge a premium for what we roast and what we serve, yet we are seen as an incredible value...because we could charge more, and it would still be seen as "fair". Don't look at price in terms of dollars and cents, look at in terms of a "which is the best value proposition?" The quality of what you brew can only be as good as the coffee you use.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "DougHuffman"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Where are you located? Perhaps some of our members could suggest a local coffee roaster near you.

Buying roasted beans locally is the best way to balance the cost/quality of your coffee. If you buy it from a grocery store, you've already defeated your purpose. No matter what the cost is, the quality will certainly be lacking. Where did your family get their roasted beans as they were maintaining the sixty year family tradition?

You said you've been struggling to brew a great cup of coffee. You'll never get there if you skimp on the beans! I hope you will find a local roaster and explore what is offered. Prices vary depending on your location and, of course, how much the seller wants to make a profit. You need to be the judge of what's good and what's not.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Coffee Junky,

Certainly people don't need to all be buying Cup of Excellence coffees, but there is a distinct difference between $10 coffee and $18-$20 coffee. A lower grade coffee, even roasted properly, is still a lower grade coffee.

Seriously, when looking for "best value" you should look at the best coffees... after that, it's personal preference.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
John,

I have actually tried Community coffee.
Not bad. I would drink it when I am down in New Orleans

Yes, there is huge differences in different product and how they roast them.
But also there is large differences when someone is roasting 1000 pounds an hour to maybe 5 pounds per batch in prices.

As coffee price have dropped to lowest in decade, some roasters are selling their 1 pound well roasted coffee at price you can't believe.
I am not talking about real high end coffee. Ofcourse most of the roaster can't sell BlueMountain coffee for 20 dollars either.
I actually have bought some Sumatra, Yargascheff and Sidamo under 3.50 per pound. I can see some roaster are selling those coffee for under 10 dollar per 12 oz and still be very profitable.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I have my prices ranging between $12.50 and $14 per lb., mostly because my overhead is low, and I have the freedom in my budget where I don't need to squeeze out every last dime of profit. Milwaukee isn't the largest metropolitan market, but I could still charge a bit more, and believe my coffees can hold their own w/ any other roaster in town (or country, for that matter), but I like to let customers keep a little more of their money. :coffee:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Our beans currently sell for between $14 and $16/lb.

I tell our customers that while I want all of their coffee money, I don't want it all today.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Our coffees are priced at $18-$22 per 312g. Most are priced at $19. All of our espresso is priced at $19 as well. We sell whole bean only. Everything is seasonal, small batch, micro-region, Single Origin, or single farm coffees. I roast components for espresso separately and post blend. We never use filler coffees, everything is well above Specialty Grade level. For us, when both are on shelf, the higher priced coffees go fastest.

Best of luck on your coffee search!:coffee:

Talisheek

Dec 21, 2013
Talisheek, LA
Visit site
I drink Community lots. It is one of my regular coffees. Being one of our local brands, we can get very good deals on it. I always enjoy driving near the different coffee plants in the area due to the lovely aromas in the air.

Last edited: