Virginia Startup: Where to Start

NoVACoffeehouse

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Good evening all,

I'm sold hook, line, and sinker on the myriad benefits of roasting in-house. Many years ago, my go-to coffeehouse back in college had a Diedrich Roaster just inside the front door. The fact that they roasted alone had an allure, nevermind how good the coffee was.

Fast forward a decade, and I find myself working with an Exec. Chef to build a (relatively) novel restaurant / coffeehouse concept here in Northern Virginia. For a multitude of reasons, we want to roast in-house. Our problem (which, after reading here, isn't uncommon) is that neither of us roasts. Therefore, we must find a rockstar coffee roaster. Preferably someone with a bit of commercial experience, as well as the creativity to develop some amazing roasting profiles, and enough experience to facilitate the roasting process in-house, from ordering to staff training.

There's plenty more to the concept, but as I start to dig through the forum and chime into various threads, I thought it prudent to start here by saying hello and introducing myself. Further, any advice on where to search for roasters would be beneficial. I know the brewing world has ProBrewer.com; wondering if there's something similar.

Much appreciated.
WD.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
See about posting an ad in ROAST magazine.
Do the good ol' Craigslist, people still look there.

For what you are proposing you want a minimum 5 years commercial experience and PROVEN, discernible skill level.
And I wouldn't think of offering less than $50K per year for a quality roaster.
Find someone who is worth that, and then the proof is in their display of knowledge, and in the cup.

Latest posts