Not sure what to expect

danielspdx

Aug 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Visit site
After being a part of coffeegeek and home-barista for the past 7 or 8 years, I'm looking for something a little more populated. I consider myself knowledgeable about the specialty espresso world, but the snobbery and superiority complex some of the regular CG and H-B crowd has gotten really old. I'm fairly hard core when it comes to my espresso and I don't really enjoy brewed coffee more than a few times a year. I currently have a La Valentina HX plumbed in my kitchen (for the past 5 years) with a Mazzer Mini. I recently bought an Expobar Office Control for my workplace, and have refurbished an Anfim Milano and Mazzer Super Jolly to use with it (I'm trying to sell the SJ locally). I frequent 6-8 local high-end roasters/shops and have become very picky. Part of my retirement plans include opening a small coffee shop, and I've invested previously (money and time) in a local roaster, so I know what I'm getting into.

I guess that's my story, and after perusing this site, I'm not sure what to expect (thus the post title.) I'm not a snob, but I'm very particular. If something works for somebody and they like it, that's what it's all about.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "danielspdx"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

It appears that you have a lot of experience with the world of coffee. We're looking forward to your participation on the Forum.

Rose

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
danielspdx - Hope you stick around. It's fun to see people contribute from their different perspectives.

I'm curious, (even though your title was clear that you don't know what to expect), what is your initial read on the climate of the dialogue on this forum compared to CG and HB? I haven't done much but brief browsing on those ones...

danielspdx

Aug 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Visit site
At first blush, CG and H-B appear a lot more technical and focused, especially related to equipment and technique, however I've spent maybe 10 minutes perusing this site. Some of the more prolific contributors there can come across as 'superior.' For example, I asked about converting my La Valentina to a no-burn steam wand, and instead of answering my question, I was lectured by a particular contributor explaining that he didn't need it so neither did I. Topics there can turn pretty esoteric.

Not knowing what to expect here, i'm hoping to get Little nuggets of wisdom here and there regarding technique, and maybe some information about equipment maintenance and modification. I'm comfortable with my knowledge and technique, but things always evolve and I want to keep up.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Speak for yourself, Peter. I've been doing this for just over a year now. I'm as seasoned as they come. Right?

Wow! It's only been just over a year? It's always seemed like you've been roasting for longer than that.

I remember when you were thinking about your idea of hanging red swings around town to promote your business, but it feels like that was a long time ago.

Rose

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Welcome to the forum danielspdx! A lot of great folks here. Learning from one another and sharing findings.
I personally appreciate the broad and deep knowledge found here.
It amazes me that there is so much diversity of questions asked and answered.

As an espresso aficionado do you roast your own beans too?
Also do you prefer SO espresso or blends?

Imaging that, picking your brain already!

Last edited:

danielspdx

Aug 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Visit site
Welcome to the forum danielspdx! A lot of great folks here. Learning from one another and sharing findings.
I personally appreciate the broad and deep knowledge found here.
It amazes me that there is so much diversity of questions asked and answered.

As an espresso aficionado do you roast your own beans too?
Also do you prefer SO espresso or blends?

Imaging that, picking your brain already!

I don't roast, and have no desire to on a home level. There are so many incredible roasters here that I don't think it would be worth it. Generally, I prefer espresso blends, but I've had some great SO shots from local places. I've tried some SO beans, but the roast level in conjunction with the particulars of the bean make it too hard for me to dial in with an HX home machine. If I had a DB with PID (GS/3, Rocket R58, Slayer, or some other big dollar machine that I could really tune in) I might try a SO, but I'm more than happy with the selection of blends I have access to.

StarCoffee

Nov 30, 2014
New York
Visit site
After being a part of coffeegeek and home-barista for the past 7 or 8 years, I'm looking for something a little more populated. I consider myself knowledgeable about the specialty espresso world, but the snobbery and superiority complex some of the regular CG and H-B crowd has gotten really old. I'm fairly hard core when it comes to my espresso and I don't really enjoy brewed coffee more than a few times a year. I currently have a La Valentina HX plumbed in my kitchen (for the past 5 years) with a Mazzer Mini. I recently bought an Expobar Office Control for my workplace, and have refurbished an Anfim Milano and Mazzer Super Jolly to use with it (I'm trying to sell the SJ locally). I frequent 6-8 local high-end roasters/shops and have become very picky. Part of my retirement plans include opening a small coffee shop, and I've invested previously (money and time) in a local roaster, so I know what I'm getting into.

I guess that's my story, and after perusing this site, I'm not sure what to expect (thus the post title.) I'm not a snob, but I'm very particular. If something works for somebody and they like it, that's what it's all about.

Incidently I came from Coffeegeek forum too! The have many interesting articles there but I have found that the people in this forum are more engaging with the topics. I certainly hope to learn some skills on espresso making from you (you seem really serious about your equipment haha) Cheers