Nutrition label information

ambwinin

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
So I'm trying to figure out everything needed to put on packaging before I start my roasting business. Does anyone know the extent of nutritional info you have to put for coffee flavor additives? For instance can you just put (coffee oil flavoring) instead of listing all of the scientific ingredients in the oils?

Thanks ;-)

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Hello,

Hmmm. Chemical additives to a product that, properly sourced and roasted, has about 1,200 possible naturally occurring flavors...
Just a thought. I know quite a few roasters, and I don't know anyone who has actually put in the necessary time to become a skilled roaster that would ever put flavor additives in their coffee. It's quite telling.

As to your question:
I would look at the flavored "coffees" that line the grocery store aisles and see what they disclose on their packaging.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Hello,

Hmmm. Chemical additives to a product that, properly sourced and roasted, has about 1,200 possible naturally occurring flavors...
Just a thought. I know quite a few roasters, and I don't know anyone who has actually put in the necessary time to become a skilled roaster that would ever put flavor additives in their coffee. It's quite telling.

1. John P I totally agree with you, flavors and chemicals cover up crap coffee. Goos coffee should not need sugar of flavors. Take Harrar it is a fruity / wine flavor coffee and totally rocks with nothing in it.

2. Hey Topher read above LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
slurp,

What is "Goos(e)" coffee??
Is it like duck coffee? just wondering.:lol:

And slurp, you sound young and most likely lacking a bit of wisdom, but you do seem to be headed in the right direction. Even though a lot of your points are correct, you need to prove yourself first, and THEN make snarky comments. :images:

ambwinin

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
So coffee roasters generally never put flavoring oils on their coffee after roasting? I understand its an art and science to find the right roasting time in order to bring out the right flavors from the bean itself. It just seems like seasonal flavors such as pumpkin spice, etc. would need a helping hand from flavoring.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
People that drink the pumpkin spice and hazelnut flavored coffees generally don't care what the coffee part of the equation tastes like, which is why 99% of the roasters on this site don't bother flavoring our beans. We cater to those who know and love great coffee for what it has to offer on its own w/o the adulterations.

I've had a few customers ask if they can get that stuff. In as nice a way as possible I'll explain that they're not the type of customer I'm after, even though there's way more profit in it; you can buy past-crop dreck coffee for a third the price of current crop, add a few cents of flavoring oil and then sell it for more than regular coffee. What a racket, but I won't go there.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Another point that should be made is that you're not a chain or Starbucks, nor should you want to be. They have vast buying power and yet sell substandard coffee and espresso. So if you want to offer the kinds of horrible gimmicky drinks they offer, you will need to charge quite a bit more in order to maintain good margins while paying your staff, or yourself, well.

Do something different. Make great coffee. It's a rare thing.