Semi Roast

Bmryan76

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of a method or very lightly roasting coffee (semi roasted) then storing until later roasting before packaging to ensure freshness of "green" coffee for long periods....I have heard up to 2 years.... but cant fin any information to back up my Costa Rican roaster friends ides about this.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Doubt that it's possible, but even if it worked, I still don't see the reason. Roasting half-way, emptying the roaster, storing the beans, putting them back in the roaster and roasting... how could that be better than just roasting them correctly and shipping?

Who wants to store green coffee for such a long time? There happens to be new crop every 12 months, ya know.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of a method or very lightly roasting coffee (semi roasted) then storing until later roasting before packaging to ensure freshness of "green" coffee for long periods....I have heard up to 2 years.... but cant fin any information to back up my Costa Rican roaster friends ides about this.

I'm guessing that the reason why you can't find any information about it is because it won't work.

If you've ever had anything that was pre-cooked (roasted, baked, fried) and frozen or stored, you'll know that the quality is seriously compromised.

The green coffee beans, if stored properly, can last a long time. Why would anyone want to roast them, store them, and then roast them again?

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing his theory behind it is to reduce its moisture content to increase its shelf life. I'm not sure what else to say about that without getting censored or booted.

PinkRose, I take issue with your statement about pre-cooked, frozen food being low quality. I have two words for you.... Pizza....Rolls! Nothing screams quality like Totino's

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
PinkRose, I take issue with your statement about pre-cooked, frozen food being low quality. I have two words for you.... Pizza....Rolls! Nothing screams quality like Totino's

I guess I've had one too many experiences trying a new frozen food item only to end up saying, " Yuck, that was terrible." I have a feeling that's what would happen with the pre-roasted coffee too.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I'm with Buzz Roaster on the Totino's.

Ahh, nothing like a plate full of pizza rolls and football on a Sunday afternoon. That or Tony's frozen pepperoni pizza is great too... Not as nostalgic as concession stand pizza (a whole other topic), but it'll do.

As for the pre-roasted coffee. Nah. If you want to keep your green for longer than a year, then vacuum seal it in foil. Otherwise, crops happen seasonally. Roast accordingly.