It all began in Portugal

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
Greetings all.
Well, here's my story. For me, it started this time a year ago during a first time visit to Portugal. Previously, my wife and I were tea drinkers. On rare occasions, I'd have a cuppa, but not very often. While in PT, we made a two-day side trip from Cascais (just west of Lisbon) down to Faro on the south coast and stayed in the only motel/hotel in the ancient downtown area of that small city. At this nice place to stay, lunch was included. It appeared to be catered in rather than cooked on-site, and it was tasty. Since the meal concluded with an espresso, we thought why not give it a try. Were we ever surprised by that tiny cup's contents! It was (here's where language fails to truly describe) mellow, somewhat sweet, not bitter at all, full-bodied, and the adjectives go on and on. Later, back in Cascais, we ordered espressos a couple of times at a couple different pastry/coffee shops. Those lacked the balance and tended toward the bitter in comparison; OK, but really not the same.
Wish I knew how that Faro espresso was put together. Thus, the journey is beginning. As a green newbe, I'm plowing into the learning curve (still near the bottom). However, it's an engaging challenge to learn how to put it all together aiming toward--well, you know.
Thought I'd join the CoffeeForum primarily because of the kind, gentle way beginners are treated by the experienced barista-type pros (along with all that can be learned here).
David

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
Thank you, yurong! Unfortunately, we were unable to see how the espresso was prepared. It was described as espresso, and served in a small, espresso-style cup. It was coffee--no question, if that's what you're thinking, but the rest remains an unknown for now. I'll have to find Zhongshan on the map, since its location doesn't ring a bell. (I have four children from China--2 boys and two girls- who are now young adults.)
dawei

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
Thank you, small town girl from Kansas!
Coffeeforums has some nice folks onboard, and when pros and semi-pros treat us newbies kindly and encourage them, that's definitely a good thing that may not be the case elsewhere.

StarCoffee

Nov 30, 2014
New York
Visit site
Hi David, welcome to the forum! I'm new myself and definitely like the way people are being treated around here. Browse through the posts I think the pros here like to teach alot and it's definitely worth making friends with them. Cheers!