Hello fellow coffee drinkers....

ChicagoJohn

Dec 2, 2014
Chicagoland
Visit site
I am John from Chicagoland, a life-long coffee drinker but only recently really getting into it. My wife, on the other hand, has her own espresso machine, the latest in a series of at least 10. I am a recently retired chemist and amateur photographer, and a few months ago I began experimenting with grinding my morning coffee from purchased roasted beans. I've been experimenting with grind fineness, quantity per cup, and how to store the roasted beans, and am looking to share information with folks who have more experience to assist my learning curve, so to speak.

To underscore my lack of experience, I've recently settled on Eight O'clock Original beans, grind two heaping scoops of frozen beans in my little grinder for six seconds, and brew the grind in my Mister Coffee 4-cup drip maker with a paper filter. Hopefully, I have a lot to learn ....

Last edited:

Danno

Nov 3, 2014
southwest Wisconsin
Visit site
Hi John, and welcome to the forum. You've definitely come to the right place to learn about coffee. Lot's of great folks here who are very knowledgeable about all things coffee, and always willing to share what they know. But it seems to me that you're already doing the most important thing to learn about coffee, and that's to experiment. There's a whole world of great coffees out there, both single origins and blends, as well as different roast levels, brewing methods, etc.
I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago, so welcome again from a fellow Chicagoan.