Greetings from Finland!

SupaChili

Jul 6, 2014
Finland
Visit site
I actually joined this forum almost a year ago and forgot to introduce myself in the process. I joined this forum to get knowledge on coffee and roasting when I was still planning to start a roastery of my own.

Well story told short, we started a small coffee roastery, Mokkapuu, within the southwestern Finnish archipelago October 2014 and we've been focusing on organic coffee. We started with five coffees, three original coffees and two of our own blends. Now we have about 9 coffees in our selection and are loving the coffee world! We still have only a small roastery but not our own cafe. We hope to change that in the near future :coffee:.

I hope I'll have time to visit this excellent forum more often, didn't expect the company start to be so time consuming :decaf:

Thanks you for reading!

-Tuomas

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hello Tuomas, welcome.. Pretty good introduction, compared to others.

"keep selling and focusing on that wonderful organic coffee!" :wink:
if your seller wants to charge you a lot of extra for that organic coffee, just be aware that he paid $0.20 extra or less for that organic coffee per pound, if he had bought directly from coffee origin country. (normally it is $0.30 per pound extra over normal coffee pricing, but I am sure that he forced his seller to kick him back $0.10 to lower his cost.)

anyway, hope that you can contribute your comments and feed backs as much as possible.
good luck.

Last edited:

SupaChili

Jul 6, 2014
Finland
Visit site
Thanks! I feel a bit rusty with my English at times so it's nice to hear that.

Yeah, and since we are starting small, the green coffee price is pretty high due to shipping and volume. I'm glad that some consumers understand that fact when they compare prices to the regular supermarket coffees. Most Finns buy 3.3 pounds of roasted coffee under 11 dollars just because it's so cheap, not really caring about the origins or taste, so it's a challenge. Don't know how it is elsewhere in the world.

We hope to spread the knowledge of good coffee here locally :coffee:. Always nice to see peoples reactions when they seem to discover coffee for the first time when they try our fresh roasts.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Most Finns buy 3.3 pounds of roasted coffee under 11 dollars just because it's so cheap, not really caring about the origins or taste, so it's a challenge. Don't know how it is elsewhere in the world.

:decaf: what???!!!! you finns pay $3.3333333 per pound for roasted coffee? by the way, what kind of coffee are you talking about? the kind from Vietnam or Brazil or from Ivory Coast?

here in USA (I am at Guatemala working now for green coffee export company, but I live in Los Angeles), at regular super market, you pay $6 to $8 for 12 oz roasted coffee (but really bad kind, old, horrible coffee), or you pay $12 to $14 per 12 oz at Starbucks/roasted (but again they are baaaaaad!) or you pay $18 to $24 for Single origin freshly roasted coffee from online or specialty local roasters. But some local roasters offer $10 to $12 for very good roasted coffee.

any reason that your coffee in Finland is so cheap?

SupaChili

Jul 6, 2014
Finland
Visit site
Yes, that is right :coffee:. The quality of our supermarket regular "100% Arabica" coffee is just terrible. But most Finns don't seem to know that since there is one big market leader that sells that bad coffee with pretty packaging and has huge advertisements and an image that they're coffee is top quality :grin:. I can't believe they still get covered with that low price but when watching the endless pallet quantities delivered to the markets, it's all about the volume. Can't remember where that coffee comes from but I believe it is a blend of who-knows how many varieties. And elder people here still traditionally buy that coffee as a gift to their relatives and friends, it is considered as a valuable gift. Who knows why :). It does have a shiny cover :grin:.

I heard from one person that here in Finland there was a regulation on coffee all the way to the 90's. That limited the number of importers and roasters to just couple big money companies back in the days and therefore they had all the advantage, time and money to make people believe that they are the source of quality coffee. What I've heard is that some have actually sent some of our market coffee as a gift to foreign friends and the reaction has been quite the opposite than they suspected! :decaf:

I'm happy to see that the awareness of what is really quality is spreading among people here finally.

Last edited:

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
I actually joined this forum almost a year ago and forgot to introduce myself in the process. I joined this forum to get knowledge on coffee and roasting when I was still planning to start a roastery of my own.

Well story told short, we started a small coffee roastery, Mokkapuu, within the southwestern Finnish archipelago October 2014 and we've been focusing on organic coffee. We started with five coffees, three original coffees and two of our own blends. Now we have about 9 coffees in our selection and are loving the coffee world! We still have only a small roastery but not our own cafe. We hope to change that in the near future :coffee:.

I hope I'll have time to visit this excellent forum more often, didn't expect the company start to be so time consuming :decaf:

Thanks you for reading!

-Tuomas

It's nice to hear that things worked out well for you. What type of machine do you roast on?

SupaChili

Jul 6, 2014
Finland
Visit site
Hi John,

We use a small electrical 2kg Discaf roaster. We were thinking of starting with a bigger machine but this proved to be a good size for the beginning as we roast coffee by per order. Also it looks pretty so it's a good addition to a future cafeteria so customers can see roasting in action. I'm guessing that we will be needing a 5kg gas roaster in the near future :coffee:.