Hello from Colorado: Newbie looking for infor about importing coffee from Indonesia

ckarmanc

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I stumbled on this forum as I was researching about how to import coffee from Indonesia. Anyone has experience about this as what it takes to bring coffee to the US? Does it need to be FDA approved? Custom? Freight (since I live in CO, I need trucking?) Warehousing? And how to find new customers? I have couple potential customer but not enough to make the shipment business sense. Any suggestions? Thanks and look forward to hearing from y'all...

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
before you are thinking of importing coffee from Indonesia, your first step of doing business is to compare the cost.
1. first decide how much lbs of coffee you want for your sales in your area.
2. contact major coffee importers (such as atlas or royal as Peter said) and get the quote CIF your place in CO. (CIF = Cost of coffee, Insurance & freight)
3. contact your indonesia farm/exporter and have them calculate CIF to your place. Unless you buy 20' container, which is over 400,000 of green coffee, your freight cost might be very high because you have to consolidate and must use grain-pro (specially from Indonesia)
4. compare the cost between two and choose.
5. in my opinion, unless you buy a container, the cost will be lower from US importer.

so again, as peter say, it will be better for you to buy from USA big coffee importers directly.

PS: I am in green bean exporting business in Guatemala, so if you need any other related information (cost calculation, how it is being shipped...etc), ask me. I will reply back to you.

ckarmanc

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Peter, I am looking to bring in drip coffee... not just beans. I don't think Royal or Atlas has it. I also wonder if people would like do drink drip coffee here. I haven't seen something like this in the US...
Let's see if I attached a picture...

If you can't view it, I can PM you.
Any thoughts about this?
Thanks.
IMG_20150719_092614483_HDR.jpg

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a pour over to me. Packaging may be unique, but if it's a single use, disposable filter, you might want to reconsider getting involved. Keurig has taken the single serve brewing segment by storm, and are under immense pressure to address the issue of their single use, non recyclable K Cups.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
if you are trying to bring in that sort of drip coffee (coffee ground) forget about buying from origins of coffee, such as Indonesia nor Guatemala. and None of big USA coffee importers can help you on this.
we are talking about completely different business.

ckarmanc

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Mr. Peaberry, I have one of my coffee friend tasted it. He says it's better than Keurig. I can send you a sample if you live in the US. PM me your address. Ensoluna, I am not sure I understood why USA coffee importers can't help me? What do you mean by different business? Thanks.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I am very much familiar with your products because I have tried them before in several Asian countries.
the method is very similar to regular drip coffee. And just like regular drip coffee, if the ground coffee is REALLY FRESHLY GROUND FROM FRESH ROASTED WITH HIGH GRADE COFFEE BEAN, yes, it can be very good.
however, just like Keurig (which is just almost like glorified instant coffee), it is matter of freshness.

this is just another form (for convenience like Keurig) of selling ground coffee (like folgers or Nescafe...etc) in a small individual bag.

in terms of business, Yes, there are more this type of customers than specialty coffee customers in the world.
however, if you are trying to sell this type of products via this coffee forum, that will be a very tough sell.

However, again, this type of coffee is very popular in the other side of the world, so it could be commercialized in this country.
hope that posting will help.

ckarmanc

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
No... I am not trying to sell anything in this forum. I am just looking for some feedback and information. My background is in education. So this is a new thing for me and I am trying to explore if this is something I can do...

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
No... I am not trying to sell anything in this forum. I am just looking for some feedback and information. My background is in education. So this is a new thing for me and I am trying to explore if this is something I can do...

i understand. however, if you truly love "real coffee", better not to go into that type of business.
there are other better alternatives, i am sure.

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi ckarmanc...if you have an open mind, and are exploring this "potential" opportunity to bring a product into the US that doesn't currently have any significant market share, you have to ask yourself some very tough questions before investing a lot of time and or money. The first questions that come to mind are these:
- How long has this product been available anywhere?
- Has any attempt been made to gain US distribution, and if so, what is the holdup/pushback?
- What socio-economic influences make it a popular option in the markets in which it has gained significant acceptance and market share? Are these same market conditions present in the US?
- If the Keurig system is inferior, does it really matter to the consumer? On this forum we all know that most of the coffee consumed via the Keurig system is, for the most part, inferior to the coffees available through members of this site, so why has Kuerig been such a resounding success?
- A lot of Pod coffee systems existed prior to, and were developed around the same time as the Keurig. Where are they now? How would you ensure you didn't suffer a similar fate?

All in all...it doesn't sound to me like you are ready to jump in with both feet and invest your life's savings and mortgage your home...which is encouraging. If I were you, I would target communities with a population of people who come from the regions where this is popular, and find ways to connect and market to them. Once you establish a base of business of ready adopters, then you can reach out to introduce this product to others who are predisposed to try new things, such as a younger crowd who don't want to be a part of the mass market system of Keurig...make your product hip by making it available in Vapor shops...or since you are in a state that has legalized marijuana...perhaps this is a crowd that would willingly get off the Keurig bandwagon. In any event...good luck. I always like to see people who are trying to put forth the cause of good coffee!!

-

ckarmanc

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Mr. Peaberry for your insights. I really appreciate it. I think you are right, I am not ready yet. I like your idea about pot shops... Wish me luck.