New Member From Alabama

alabamacoffeebean

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Hey, everyone!

my name is Jared, and I live in north Alabama. I have been roasting coffee since the summer of 2012 in a Hot Top. I'm slowly building a small customer base of friends and coworkers, so I might need to upgrade to something bigger soon just to keep from having to roast 8 hours a day just to roast a few pounds of coffee :)

Well, this looks like it's a nice resource for coffee lovers, and I hope I'll be a productive member here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Jared,

Welcome!

We have plenty of members who started out roasting coffee just for friends and family, and then they took the plunge into roasting on a bigger level.

You will find a lot of useful information here.

Rose

alabamacoffeebean

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

I decided it was time to order something bigger, so I bought a 2-pound Sonofresco last Monday, and it should be here on Wednesday :D

I also have some Ethiopian and Rwandan coffee on the way as well. Ethiopian is one of my favorite coffee regions, and I've never tried Rwandan coffee, but the description looks like something I can love :)

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
Jared,
I started out roasting in a Hot Top and sold to friends. That has turned into a full blown business supplying coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores and internet retail. No matter how big of a machine you get you'll you'll still be roasting and bagging 8hrs a day as your business grows. But, it's better than working for someone else.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Jared,
I started out roasting in a Hot Top and sold to friends. That has turned into a full blown business supplying coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores and internet retail. No matter how big of a machine you get you'll you'll still be roasting and bagging 8hrs a day as your business grows. But, it's better than working for someone else.

That is such a great testimonial for following one's dream. I am convinced that there is no truer statement than "but it's better than working for someone else."

alabamacoffeebean

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Jared,

Awesome! :D

I've done one roast with the Sonofresco, and all I've done is managed to get used to the controls of the machine and using the ADR program. It's much different than the Hot Top! :D

I used the default profile, and the coffee is actually pretty good (it's a washed Ethiopian). Of course, I think tinkering with the roast profile will make the coffee better, but I wouldnt be ashamed to give some of the coffee I roasted to a friend if one asked. That's more than I can say from my first roast on my Hot Top :D

Anyway, congrats on your roasting business. I've got a small customer base of friends and family, and I'm hoping that'll grow now that I can roast more than (quite literally) a handful of coffee at a time :D

That is such a great testimonial for following one's dream. I am convinced that there is no truer statement than "but it's better than working for someone else."

Totally. I work at a Starbucks inside of a Target. I was kinda thrust in to the position after a girl ragequit one day, and I've generally enjoyed it. There's a fair amount of people that are hard to deal with (mostly corporate management from Starbucks AND Target). Generally, I like what I do, but I dont intend to be there forever :)