Advise Needed: My Mr. Coffee is "burning" or "scalding" my coffee.

Oleka2K

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Advise Needed: My Mr. Coffee is "burning" or "scalding" my coffee.

Hi, I am big starbucks drinker, I make my own at home. I like mellow coffee and my favorite to drink is Veranda, I drink it daily.

I own a Mr Coffee, but honestly I signed up for these forums to ask a question. My Mr Coffee is "burning" or "scalding" my coffee. I don't know if either of those words make any sense? If I don't drink my coffee within the first 30 minutes? It loses it freshness/great taste, it tastes terrible. I do not know why this is happening? I can only assume my cheap coffee pot only has 1 temperature, HOT. If I look into my coffee pitcher the coffee in the center is black, and it has a funny smell.

This is REALLY bugging me because a pack of starbucks coffee where I live is $16 for 12OZ pack. I normally buy a pack a week... I wouldn't need to do this if I could make my coffee last, I make a pitcher of coffee fill the pitcher up 12! but I only get 1 mug of coffee out of it before my coffee goes bad. I normally try to just make just enough to fill my coffee mug, but its annoying would love to have a full pitcher so if someone else so happened to want a cup I wouldn't have to make a new pot every 30mins!

Any tips? Why is my Mr Coffee doing this? What is this calling? I tried googling but nothing come up with the keywords I tried using. I own a $20 Mr Coffee 12cup switch coffee maker.
Thanks, looking forward to the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I agree.
It's like you keep your coffee on the stove and leave it on to keep it hot.

You have a few options, though:

- keep drinking your coffee withing 30 minutes :grin: ok, just teasing
- if you like your Mr. Coffee coffee maker, invest in a thermal carafe and refill from Mr. Coffee glass carafe
- next time, invest in a coffee maker with thermal carafe

And as a hint: 12 cups probably last a couple hours so in case you get a thermal carafe, pre-heat it with hot water before you pour the coffee. Then it stays hot longer.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
And as a hint: 12 cups probably last a couple hours so in case you get a thermal carafe, pre-heat it with hot water before you pour in the coffee. Then it stays hot longer.

Hi Oleka2K,

Since you seem to like your coffee when it's first made, a thermal carafe is definitely a good option. It will help you keep your coffee hot, and it won't continue "cooking" as it sits on the coffee maker's hot plate. It's a very good idea to fill the thermal carafe with hot water and let it sit for several minutes to warm it up. Then, if you quickly pour out the hot water and replace it with your hot coffee, the coffee will stay hot for a longer period of time - possibly several hours.

Oleka2K

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for the comments. I am going to do away with my current Mr Coffee and burn a new coffee maker. You guys are perfect, this has been driving me crazy for months now! I feel certain I can fix the problem just ordering a new coffee maker.

Oleka2K

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the Mr-Coffee-BVMC-PSTX91 from amazon for $47 seemed like a good deal, its thermal as well. I did some research and it seems like its a good coffee maker, I hope so!