New Coffee Nut

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys...I'm so happy that I found this forum. It'll be really nice to gain some wisdom from those more knowledgeable.

A little about me:

I am currently in the development stage of my website: TheRoastersCollective.com which is going to be an online coffee store. I am from Seattle, a coffee culture city from a coffee centric family and Im finally taking the plunge into becoming an entrepreneur in a field that I love.

I hope to speak to everyone here!!

Simon

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I lived in Seattle for almost 2 years...summer of 1969 through end of school year 1971...but my mother had happy feet after my parents divorced, so we were on the move again. I L.O.V.E.D. Seattle, and threw a major fit when the move was announced. I have nothing but fond memories of spending the summers of '69 & '70 swimming in Haler Lake, watching dragboat races on Green Lake, taking the ferry to go clam digging on Bainbridge Island. Those were the days! You are quite a lucky man to be able to pursue your passion for coffee in the Emerald City!! Welcome to the forums!

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I wish I was still there... NY has some great coffee shops, but lacking on the roaster front. Some of the shops are good here...thanks for the warm welcomes!

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Hi!
What direction are you planning for the Roasterscollective?
Although I'm in FL, NYC has: Crop To Cup and Pully Collective.
There are a variety of vendors that combine wholesale greens, retail greens, roasting/renting roasting time; and some educational aspects. What's your take on this model?

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Im going to check those out. Eventually, they may be incorporated into the business model, but the initial model is just an exchange of microroasters to reach a wider crowd. Kind of like some other websites. Ultimately, as much coffee as I drink, and my ever growing knowledge in the industry, I believe the already existent models are lacking in many areas. As well, coffee is more than starbucks and folgers and K cups (all of which have a purpose by the way, for example, folgers is great to cook with...FYI) and the general public should be made aware there are great roasters out there doing great things for a nominal price. But these small guys are busy running theirs businesses, and can't focus on a real marketing budget. Thats sort of my plan.

To make it clear...I am NOT a roaster, although I would love to learn at some point. I work too many hours in the day to focus on it at the moment.

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I think the model you are referring to is more of a B2B model instead of a B2C model. No matter how many people would be interested, I dont see the home roaster industry getting so big it could be much of a money maker. its a nice thing, dont get me wrong. but we can't live off of love, ya know?