Hello! Question please?

Beans4Brains

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone and appreciate any input to my question.

Are you aware of any independent retail stores that would sell nothing but local roasted coffee beans from many different local (within a region) roasters/companies?

imagine walking into a store seeing and reading the stories/history of about 30 or more different roasters "companies" on display and for sale from a region of the country.

I guess it it would be similar to walking into a store that sells nothing but micro brewed beers from many different companies/brewery's and then reading their story about the brew process etc.. And why they got into the business.

I know now when I walk into a micro beer retail store I can hang around forever reading the stories and history about the brews and such before actually buying the beer for take out.

Trying to see or hear from you if in fact that the same concept for micro batch coffee roasters would be a viable business concept just like micro beer companies within a retail store.

Thoughts please?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents? I think it's a great concept, but I don't think the market or industry is quite to the same point as the microbrew market. Would be a tough go. Hope that helps...best of luck.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Is there a shelf life for the microbrew beer? Is it brewed, bottled, and sold within a certain time frame?

It seems that it would be difficult for a retail store to sell roasted coffee beans from a lot of local roasters. I imagine it would be difficult to stock freshly roasted beans and quickly sell them before they're not fresh anymore. There would probably be a lot of wasted, unsold beans.

Beans4Brains

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Is there a shelf life for the microbrew beer? Is it brewed, bottled, and sold within a certain time frame?

It seems that it would be difficult for a retail store to sell roasted coffee beans from a lot of local roasters. I imagine it would be difficult to stock freshly roasted beans and quickly sell them before they're not fresh anymore. There would probably be a lot of wasted, unsold beans.

I guess with your rationale, going by "shelf life" alone for many different roasted beans in a retail setting would not make it a feasible business.

But this is where I struggle, knowing that large grocery stores sell roasted beans all day long that have been sitting in a warehouse and or shelf for quite sometime and those beans seem to be what I would consider good/fresh.

Maybe a retail store with possibly 20 different roasters on sale/display along with a coffee bar as well would be a better option?

Thanks for your input PinkRose!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I guess with your rationale, going by "shelf life" alone for many different roasted beans in a retail setting would not make it a feasible business.

But this is where I struggle, knowing that large grocery stores sell roasted beans all day long that have been sitting in a warehouse and or shelf for quite sometime and those beans seem to be what I would consider good/fresh.

Maybe a retail store with possibly 20 different roasters on sale/display along with a coffee bar as well would be a better option?

Thanks for your input PinkRose!

I think most local roasters wouldn't want their product on your shelves, if they ever found out that you consider roasted beans, that have been sitting on a grocery store shelf for quite some time, as being "good/fresh." Those beans are far from being fresh.

Most roasters want to see their product sold and used within a couple of weeks after roasting (preferably sooner). The longer the beans sit on a shelf, the more the flavor is compromised. A reputable coffee roaster wouldn't want his product sold after the quality diminishes.

I think you'd have a very difficult time finding 20 local roasters who'd want to take a chance and put their product and reputation on the line.

Last edited: