Hello everyone!

kmo1026

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I am new to roasting coffee and i am wondering what kind of sealer to buy for 5lb foil bags. The sealer i looked at is 6 inches and the bags are 6 3/4. should i spend more money for the bigger one or will the hand held 6 inch work ok? To start i will be doing 20 bags a week? Has anyone dealt with this????

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
For that volume spend the money on a quality sealer. I had challenges with my inexpensive hand sealer and it sits on the shelf most days. I upgraded to a AIE 310FDV... no issue sealing thick kraft foil bags. When I'm doing 5 lbs bags I always crank up the heat to max temp and both wires (the model I have is a double impulse)

http://www.aieco.com/enet/views.asp?hw_id=425

Look up the thickness of the bags you are using... then look at the specs of the sealer... it takes some juice to get through 4 layers of material (where it folds in). My 5lb bags are 5.4m x 4 layers = 21.6m ... the sealer is rated as max 20m. It does the job but it has to be hot... the last thing I want is a customers bag to not be sealed! One thing to be aware of... there are different thickness of sealers... I have a 10m. Its a bit much on small 2oz bags. I break out the old sealer if I ever package that small (for giveaways).