Hello from Saudi Arabia

saadma

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My name is Mohammed from Saudi Arabia and I'm preparing to open my Coffee truck soon.

it's my pleasure to join this forum and discuss coffee topics.

Regards,
Mohammed

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi everyone, My name is Mohammed from Saudi Arabia and I'm preparing to open my Coffee truck soon.it's my pleasure to join this forum and discuss coffee topics.Regards,Mohammed
I have heard that there are extensive Kahwa (coffee) ceremonies in Saudi. Such as it will begin with a hug and kiss on the cheek. then, people will sit on the floor with legs crossed and coffee is always served to elders first to youngest ones to the last. (very similar to our Korean tea/coffee culture when I was a kid). Also, the coffee cups are always held in the right hand. (for this, I do not know the reason, can you tell us "why"?)

good to have you here and hopefully you can educate us with more Saudi Arabia coffee cultures.
thanks and welcome.

saadma

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have heard that there are extensive Kahwa (coffee) ceremonies in Saudi. Such as it will begin with a hug and kiss on the cheek. then, people will sit on the floor with legs crossed and coffee is always served to elders first to youngest ones to the last. (very similar to our Korean tea/coffee culture when I was a kid). Also, the coffee cups are always held in the right hand. (for this, I do not know the reason, can you tell us "why"?)

good to have you here and hopefully you can educate us with more Saudi Arabia coffee cultures.
thanks and welcome.

Hi Ensoluna,
you know about Saudi Coffee:coffee:. let me explain clearly, whenever you're invited to someones house they start serving you coffee as a traditional drink along with dates (not necessary hug and kiss ) by the way, men don't kiss other men as it was a misconception (they touch cheeks together and make a gentle sound of a kiss showing solicitude of the guest) . this is a sign of hospitality. it does not mean if you were not served coffee that you are a non welcomed guest. However, the new generation don't take traditions seriously except for those who were raised holding traditions and norms very strongly.

They would sit and cross their legs if there is no chairs or coaches which is very common in the region. and Yes, a respectful serving is to begin with the elderly member of the gathering or start from the right side of the group.
The reason why they hold the cups in the right hand (both the server and the receiver) because it is the hand used in almost all activities. However, the left hand is not appropriate to be used since it is used in hygienic tasks ( it also means you are disrespectful or insulting).

i hope you tell us more about the Korean traditions in serving coffee as well. and if you need any information from Saudi i'm here to help.

Regards,
Mohammed

saadma

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully things move well. it's one of my dreams to have my coffee bar/shop business. recently, the government are supporting business trucks for local citizens and will give you 0% interest rate which is a great attraction for start-ups.:coffee1:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
thanks for detailed reply Mohammed.
thanks again.
as far as Korean coffee cultures, they resemble quite a bit like European or USA coffee cultures. We do not have specific and unique coffee cultures that you have.
Maybe in Korea NOW, they might have something unique, but I left Korea when I was a teenager, so I do not remember much and back then, late 1970s, Korea did not have much of coffee culture at all. I just remember my mom drinking "instant coffee" that was being sold in "black market". I believe that back then, Importing foreign brands of coffee (mostly instant) was regulated by Gov't, so my mom was only able to find them in "black market" with very high pricing. And of course, when I was young, I did not know anything about coffee anyway :+)

Glad to have you here and hope that we both can share more information about our coffee cultures...etc
By the way, now I work in Guatemala coffee exporting company, so if you have any questions about coffee origins, varieties...etc, just ask me.
I will try to reply back to you as much as I know.
thanks and have a great day.
Alex from Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala (I work in Guatemala, but my family and I live in Los Angeles)