Hello New in forum. Old in coffee world

Motassim

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,
i am new to coffee forum, grow in urban area with coffee trees all over, Based in Salt lake city, UT. looking to get involve in coffee world, Import- Roast-Distribute.

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,
i am new to coffee forum, grow in urban area with coffee trees all over, Based in Salt lake city, UT. looking to get involve in coffee world, Import- Roast-Distribute.
Hello
I'm from Kenya and its coming as news to me that you have coffee trees in urban USA! That's great, how does it compare to Old World varieties, the South American I've tasted and din't like. Ever tried Ethiopian or Kenyan?

Sent from my Infinix-X600 using Tapatalk

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
welcome, mercsnmarques from Kenya (my 2nd favorite coffee in the world :+) there are only two places where coffee plants/shrups grow in USA territory. That would be in Hawaii & Puerto Rico. I have heard that there is a coffee farm in California, but the production is extremely small that it is not worth mentioning. Hawaii coffee is very well known around the world as one of the rather expensive coffee (mainly due to production costs, not because their coffee is something special). as for Puerto Rico, again, the production is very small. I haven't tried Puerto Rico coffee yet.

anyway, it is wonderful to have someone from Kenya, a great coffee country.

hope to hear from you often here in this forum.

Hi ensoluna
Name's Steve, thank you for the info. What's (where's) ya favourite coffee (from)? How good is Blue Mountain (Jamaican) coffee?

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
hi steve. my name is Alex Yoon. (korean born, living in USA and working in Guatemala & China) nice to meet you.

my favorite coffee? Yirga (washed) from Ethiopia & Kenya AA (washed).

My favorite coffee countries are : 1. Guatemala (of course!) 2. Ethiopia 3. Kenya 4. Colombia
Countries that I believe that has best coffee are from : 1. Ethiopia 2. Kenya 3. Guatemala 4. Colombia

And as far as JBM coffee? their coffee is nothing special. just normal grade SHB coffee (but better care, better picking, better processed coffee which means the quality of beans are more consistently better than just regular SHB.) However, it is very expensive like Kona from Hawaii. It has very mild flavor (like Kona) without sharp or refined acidity. That is why Kona & JBM are very popular coffees in Japan, Korea and Some parts in China.
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the erudition, and introduction.
Personally not very exposed to 'exotic' coffee but have tasted the Ethiopian and what I believe to be marginal quality Colombian, din't like it.
BTW Korea, USA, China, Guatemala; you are widely travelled! Ever been to Africa? I'm a technician (autos, equipment, etc) what field are you in?
Great to meet you, will be in touch

mercsnmarques

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi Steve. unfortunately never been to Africa. I would love to visit Kenya & Ethiopia. Someday....

what field am I in?

of course, Coffee!!!! I do international green coffee sales from Guatemala to overseas. our company, Ensoluna S.A., represent about 25 coffee farms and 5 coffee cooperatives and we sell their green beans to overseas. that is one of my job.

thanks for asking, Steve.
PS: if you check my profile in this forum, you will get better idea.

Morning Alex (8am at the moment),
Now you have an invite to Africa!

It's wonderful and fortuitous that you're in Coffee. There's a lot I wish to know about the International Coffee Market; how it works, packaging, processing etc. Would also like to sample and compare the various exotic varieties.

The Asian coffee that's fed to some animal first then beans extracted from the droppings for processing has always piqued my interest. Would love to know more about this and the coffee!

The beverage brewing and selling aspects are also very attracting to me especially now that the African societies/economy are transforming overnight.

Have a good day my friend, we'll talk more later in the day.