Hi From Canada

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Well welcome aboard! Loads of great and super knowledgeable people here. I take it you are in it for the buzz not the flavor...whats your poison?

CaffeinatedStudent

Mar 8, 2018
Visit site
Thank so much! I'm looking forward to absorbing some collective knowledge. I actually got into coffee for the buzz, but I've stuck around for the flavour. I love to start my day with a nice light roast with breakfast and through the day I enjoy a bold dark roast. Needless to say, I take my coffee black to get the real taste. I'm hoping for suggestions on some good beans as I've been starting to think I'd like to roast my own to hopefully cut down on costs but to also have a heightened appreciation for my coffee.

Sorry for the late reply, midterms were brutal but I'm thriving

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
If you are looking to roast just save money don't. You will pay about the same if not more than buying local. Unless you get in with a local roaster. I sell to a few friends at cost of what I pay. I just did a check on a coffee I pay around $1.90 a lb. An online green coffee retailer sells that coffee for over $6 a lb. I retail that coffee for $16 a lb. You have to remember that you have shrinkage in the roasting process. It is anywhere from 14 to 23 %. To get the coffee to me was an additional $8. Without time spent, cost of a roaster and fuel you are already over $15 a lb. Then there is the learning curve. I am not trying to talk you out of it..just letting you know you will not save money. You will gain satisfaction in knowing you created a wonderful cup of coffee by yourself.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
I have to agree with topher on this one. If its solely for "saving" money you wont for a long time if ever, once you calculate all costs incurred. Possibly over time you can, but if you stick with it chances are you will want a roaster or upgraded roaster etc. further incurring costs. I would call it a hobby which as we know a hobby always costs and usually don't give back. In this case thank god you will get great coffee out of it that you roasted (or maybe not great initially lol). Good luck roasting its a fun trade to learn.

If you are looking to roast just save money don't. You will pay about the same if not more than buying local. Unless you get in with a local roaster. I sell to a few friends at cost of what I pay. I just did a check on a coffee I pay around $1.90 a lb. An online green coffee retailer sells that coffee for over $6 a lb. I retail that coffee for $16 a lb. You have to remember that you have shrinkage in the roasting process. It is anywhere from 14 to 23 %. To get the coffee to me was an additional $8. Without time spent, cost of a roaster and fuel you are already over $15 a lb. Then there is the learning curve. I am not trying to talk you out of it..just letting you know you will not save money. You will gain satisfaction in knowing you created a wonderful cup of coffee by yourself.

Tanzania

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Will be reaching out to Coffee Gurus to move around till I figure my way around in order to widely distribute that coffee from the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro