Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just like 30 days, the subtlety of flavor notes is also completely arbitrary: you can't define any measurement to quantify it. As I mentioned before, to me even 1 minute is too old: I have to use the one right out of my roaster. But I don't insist this on others.

BTW, even you don't want to use the expired beans anymore, don't throw them away: grind them and use as fertilizer for your acid-loving plants like hydrangeas, rhododendrons, azaleas, lily of the valley, and blueberries. While used coffee grounds are slightly acidic, fresh coffee grounds have more acid. All my used coffee grounds go to the garden.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    BTW, even you don't want to use the expired beans anymore, don't throw them away: grind them and use as fertilizer for your acid-loving plants like hydrangeas, rhododendrons, azaleas, lily of the valley, and blueberries. While used coffee grounds are slightly acidic, fresh coffee grounds have more acid. All my used coffee grounds go to the garden.
    Can you just toss the whole beans into the garden and mix them into the soil around the plants, or is it better if the beans are ground first?

I have never found a quality coffee that uses a "use by" date. If they are unwilling to put a roast date on their package, there is a reason. It's also worth noting that knowing the roast date is merely an indicator of freshness, not the quality of the coffee.

You can toss the whole beans into the garden, but that will take a while to decompose, like mulch.

Im not opposed to using expired beans, but I almost always finish a bag within 2 weeks of the roast date!

Just read a little bit history about French roast:

Roasted coffee was sent over to the French colonies in the south but would often be oxidized or get wet and mold on the way over. Re-roasting the coffee allowed the coffee to be used, the darker roast removing the tainted flavor and breathing a bit of life back into the coffee. A lot of roasters today still re-roast coffee that is nearing the end of its shelf life to avoid the loss.

French wasn't because Europeans liked darker coffee so much as it was Americans trying to recoup losses. The coffee they were running through a second time was French.

Now I realized my first reply here is actually a way to make French roast!

there is expire date on every pack of coffee but one thing i want to mention here dont use open coffee bag after 2 months because the taste and color both are totally changed

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Preheat your oven to 400F, spread your leftover coffee beans on a pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Take out and cool them fast. Now they are as good as new. Wasting food is an evil sin.
    Thanks for this authentic information.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithjohn89 View Post
    Thanks for this authentic information.
    IMO this is terrible advice... once you roast carbon half-life takes over and the coffee starts to degrade. There is no way to 'refresh' coffee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links