Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long are coffee beans good for past "use by" date?

Long story short, I have a half used bag of whole coffee beans. Yesterday I happened to check the date, it said "Enjoy by March 1." Other than the potential loss of flavor, how long should this coffee be good for. Note: it's at room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenVarieties View Post
    Long story short, I have a half used bag of whole coffee beans. Yesterday I happened to check the date, it said "Enjoy by March 1." Other than the potential loss of flavor, how long should this coffee be good for. Note: it's at room temperature.
    Anything that's been mentioned as expired is expired. So to be on safe side, i'll avoid using it.

Thanks buddy

Preheat your oven to 400F, spread your leftover coffee beans on a pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Take out and cool them fast. Now they are as good as new. Wasting food is an evil sin.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Preheat your oven to 400F, spread your leftover coffee beans on a pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Take out and cool them fast. Now they are as good as new. Wasting food is an evil sin.
    Terrible idea...

Coffee beans are best within 30 days of roast... your package has a best by vs. roast date so who knows how old they are. Most grocery store / big brands may be months old before they ever hit the grocery shelves. THe only risk you really have is having the oils within the coffee go rancid... take a good sniff... if it smells bad its probably no good.

I roast my own coffee beans each time before I make my own coffee. But this doesn't prevent me from understanding why others can use 30 days or even 30 months coffee. If it looks good, taste good, drink it!

Super Moderator
    This reminds me of what some restaurants do with their stale bread and rolls. They warm them in the oven for a few minutes, and they seem "fresh" enough to serve to unsuspecting customers - but the minute they cool down, they're as stale as ever.

Some bakeries sell "expired" breads directly in their thrift stores. Never heard anybody got killed by those. But people do get killed by premium unexpired cheesecakes...

So next time you hear somebody tells you 29.95 days old coffee is good and 30.05 days coffee is bad, ask him if that number is from God.
    Last edited by WhyCoffee; 04-05-2019 at 04:57 PM.

So next time you hear somebody tells you 29.95 days old coffee is good and 30.05 days coffee is bad, ask him if that number is from God.
    It's a bit of a loaded question & answer... coffee is best within 30 days of roast, that's also assuming its being stored properly in an airtight container out of direct sunlight. not that its 'bad' after 30 days but you certainly start losing the subtlety of flavor notes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links