Hello and looking for home roasters in Colorado

Sharkez

Jun 5, 2012
Lafayette, CO
Visit site
Hi Folks,
I'm in Lafayette (outside of Boulder) and just starting to do some home roasting. I have a new Bohmer 1600 and am FC+ing (yes - too dark) my way through some of the included coffee. I'm hoping to find some local home-roasters to share thoughts, coffee, beers, etc. I've talked to a few coffee spots in Boulder (Conscious Coffee in the past, and Boxcar most recently) about holding some events but no takers there yet.

I use a kickstarter project coffee press called Espro mostly but will be getting the new Kone filter (also at kickstarter) so will be doing some pour over. We've had a nespresso Delonghi Lattissimo for years which actually makes damn good coffee, but I'm moving on up.

The best part is that about a year ago I purchased about 1.75 Ha of land in Boquete, Panama right at the entrance to Volcan Baru (~1600m), and that land has abandoned shade-grown Bourbon coffee on about half the land. I'm working the finca (currently called Finca Nuevo Colorado, see tumblr) and have cleared out access to the trees (they are the tallest coffee trees in Panama, some are 5m tall and 25-30cm in diameter) and preparing the land for more coffee. I've planted over 3000 harvested bourbon seedlings and will plant Catuai and Geisha (like everyone else).

So this past "summer" I harvested my first pickings (fair trade and organic!) - and they were slim indeed due to lack of attention, age of the trees (40+ or more) and difficulty in getting to the cherries. But I've roasted some with friends in Boquete (brought back 8lbs and I'd say that roasted FNC coffee is quite good) and have 8lbs of green in vacuum bags waiting to test my new roasting skills on. I'm not quite confident yet but will try some soon.

I'd also like to take a roasting course - I'd be interested in any suggestions folks have.

Anyway, hope to meet up with some roasters in person. And if anyone else is into farming - I'm ready to chat!

Ciao! (Cross posting in a couple of forums so please excuse if found before)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Sharkez"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

We're glad you found us. It looks like you have some very interesting things to share.

We have a lot of forum members who roast coffee and many have taken roasting classes. I'm sure you will hear from some of them soon.

In the meantime, feel free to use our search function (located at the top of the page on the right). You will find a lot of useful information there.

Rose